Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

HELP, CHEAP PERFORMANCE PARTS W/ NOTICEABLE EFFECTS

coreystewart18
New User
Posted: 01/07/12 09:29 PM

I am only 18 yrs old and am working a minimum wage job (AVG $300 a month to get an idea of my budget).
I want my 03 mitsubishi eclipse GT to carry some power under the hood; i want to be able claim my car as the best performance car at my school.--the only things i have ever done to my car(although its not performance wise)by order of doing them is: blacking out my tail-lights, taking off my muffler and straight pipping it back the end with original tip(please dont give a hard time about it, i just like the sound, personal style) ,new radiator because he first one busted, and got red calipers.

=====>So, i was wondering if anyone could tell me the many possibilities that are out there, that i have not found out about yet, to increase the power of my car in the least expensive way. So if you can, please tell me the item that you recommend and a site offering the product/where i could get one.

I appreciate it greatly!  

camjt1UTI
New User
Posted: 01/08/12 01:49 PM

I would go with k&n intake, and a good exhaust system. And just Google where to get these things.
But if you just get an itake and no exhaust it probley won't do a thing
Same goes with exhaust. What u recommend the most is just saving
For a turbo kit. Moding cars is not cheap. Oh and Rapido will probley
Comment I believe he's got a lot of experience so yeah. Oh and the
Cheaper you go the crappier  the parts are.  

coreystewart18
New User
Posted: 01/10/12 07:35 PM

so if i dont have an exhaust an air intake wouldnt do a thing for me?
(which one we talking about, short ram or cold air intake?)  

camjt1UTI
New User
Posted: 01/10/12 08:58 PM

Cold air. But sometimes just an intake or exhaust does do something. So you might want to try it.  
And I'm only 19 so you may not want to listen to me. Also sinse you have it sriaght piped the intake might give noticeable
Difference. But I recommend spending the time researching stuff. Also
Excuse my poor writing, I go to school to work on cars not
Write ***  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 01/12/12 08:47 AM

camjt1UTI is right. He said most of what I would have said. You can add all those to get some results in the range of 5 to 10 horses, but to get serious power, you'll need to save up and do the mod thing; turbo or some kind of forced induction, engine internal mods to handle the forced induction and drive train upgrades like, axles, clutch system and chassis stiffening components to better transfer the power to the wheels as opposed to through the chassis when it torques. As camjt1UTI said, it's not cheap. Keep saving like cam said so that you don't install crappy parts, because you get what you pay for. Cool?
Hey cam, don't sweat your writing, bro. I understood you pretty well.
Wink  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 01/12/12 08:51 AM

Almost forgot to mention this, tuning your car after installing those components will get you slightly higher results. Maybe close to 20hp more, over all. A good injector set with a performance fuel pump wouldn't hurt, either. Again, you're looking at some coin, though. Good luck.
Grin  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

coreystewart18
New User
Posted: 01/12/12 04:37 PM

alright, so if we all think in the long run big mods would do better, i personally feel the a supercharger would do better would it not? because isnt a supercharger more power through all rpms and a turbo only in the higher rmps?

and what turbo/supercharger would you recommend that is good performance but not outrageously priced?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 01/16/12 07:59 AM

It's not so much about doing big mods, but you do have to build to suit the bolt on components. Super chargers are instant power, but you lose a lot of top end due to the drag from the belt. Unless you get a charger with a clutch on the drive pulley. It gets more complicated with those designs. A good turbo, now a days, is almost full spectrum and has very little turbo lag compared to very early models. It all depends on how you're going to drive and what daily routine you have so that the tuner can dial in a comfortable and effective tune. It's lots more complicated than just slapping on a turbo and driving. If you decide on those cheaply advertised turbos, beware of over hyped results with the price they advertise. You get what you pay for. It's the same as those male enhancement pills. None of them work as advertised and you'll be wasting your money. I would suggest that you look into what it is you actually want for power, stick to that plan and get hooked up with a tuner that is well known. There are a ton of parts out there and not all will fit your application and driving style. This is why building your engine properly, bolting on quality parts and having a good tuning shop dail it in is essential. Some engines can handle up to 100hp worth of bolt on stuff, but engines can last but so long after that. Don't get caught up in wanting cheap power, because cheap power and reliability don't go hand in hand and it doesn't exsist. The question you should ask your self in doing this is "how long do I want this build to last and how do I get it to last?" It's not easy to decide, but it's pretty cut and dry. Bolt on stuff and let it go or build to suit and play for a long while.
I hope I've helped in some way, but having a good answer from a site like this will only get you so far. Get hooked up with a tuning shop and make plans with a builder. Set a goal, know your budget and build with in that budget. Again, you get what you pay for. Cool?
Wink  
Educate, don't hate.

camjt1UTI
New User
Posted: 01/16/12 10:24 AM

So I've got to say if you build up power.
I hope you improve your breaks. Cause your not the only one out
There.  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 01/20/12 08:45 AM

LOL! Very true, brother, very true! If you want to go fast, you also have to have the ability to stop as well. Every thing has to be looked at when building up from stock components.

Good call, cam!
Wink  
Educate, don't hate.

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP