Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine swap options for a 04 Mazda RX8?

EndlessT
New User
Posted: 12/06/09 02:50 PM

I have a RX8 that needs a new engine. (I was one of the many people that hade oil problems) I was thinking about putting in a RX7 engine in but Im looking for other options as well. (More HP) Doing some welding and custom work is fine, just as long as it is not to much modification to get it done. Any ideas?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 12/09/09 09:49 AM

The RX8 engine is way better than the RX7 engine, by far. It may have slight issues, as do all the rotary engines, but it's nothing to sweat. I have only slight knowledge on the rotary, but I know that the RX8 engine was well redesigned to eliminate all the oil issues it had with the previous design on the RX7. The engine was probably abused and not maintained for it to have had issues. Look into restoring what you have, if possible, or get another RX8 engine and build to suite. It's better than having to swap in a totally different engine design.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

XxMerlinxX
New User
Posted: 12/15/09 11:15 PM

I'm not exactly sure how you think a Renesis is better than a 13BREW, since the Renesis guys seem to be plagued with a whole new set of problems, but I'll leave that alone for now.

A 13BREW will not swap into an RX-8 easily.  The engine uses a different wiring harness and ecu, among just about everything else.  It would take a lot of custom fabrication to get done and in the end, I don't think you'd be very happy with it.  It just wouldn't be very cost effective.  And I may be wrong, but I don't think the newer RX-8 engine will swap into your car easily either, as it too uses a different harness and ecu.  There are the radical swaps that get done, like a 2jz, but you're talking a LOT of money to get that done by only a handful of shops that can actually do that sort of thing.  Your best, and easiest, bet is to simply get the correct rotary engine and then add a turbo kit, along with supporting mods like water injection.  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 12/16/09 03:16 PM

The RX8 engine is the same in all RX8s, No? It's the Renesis, no? Or is it just for certain RX8s? I'm not too familiar with all the engines that Mazda created for all the RX lines, but didn't they actually fix all those issues? I'm a little confused... Please enlighten me as I am now a student of yours.
Smile
I really am confused.
Confused  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

XxMerlinxX
New User
Posted: 12/17/09 11:17 AM

While there have been changes made, pretty much constantly since it's debut, in 2009 Mazda redesigned some of the engine components to make it more reliable, like a new OMP and oil sump, filter and filter location, fuel pump, ecu and corresponding wiring harness among other things.  In my opinion, Mazda dropped the ball when they designed the RX-8.  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 12/19/09 06:16 PM

I see. I've been looking into this a bit and I kinda know what you mean now. I did'nt realise all the changes that have been made since its inception. All for the better, though. I learned some thing. COOL!
Smile  
Educate, don't hate.

EndlessT
New User
Posted: 12/20/09 10:30 AM

Well, first, the car needs a new engine. It will not even power on anymore. Mazda has looked at it over and over and still the same thing. Long story shot it’s a lemon, Ill post a link I found online giving more info. I don’t fell like going down that long road right now. Iv had the car for 6 months. It started having problems form the first oil change. Now I have to put in a new engine. I was planning on a engine swap latter on, in like 5 years from now when I paid off the car but that’s not going to happen. If I have to swap it I might as well do it right. I have to do it anyway. I know if I put in the same engine I will just have to sell the car. I don’t make a lot of money and this is my only mode of transpiration. When the car broke down I almost lost my job. If I don’t get transpiration I will lose it soon. And if I don’t get it fixed no one is going to buy it for close to my loan papers say. I have not looked into it al all because I did not think I would have to do this until it got to 100k miles and not 34k miles.  Now im stuck. I like renessis (I had a rx7 before) but now is not the time, if it was a second car I would not feel so bad. I love the car and I don’t want to sell it, but this cant happen aigan or I will end up sleeping in my busted car. I love the cars looks, options and most of all the handling. I want to see what my options are before I do anything. But after all this I think I might just sell it and get a old 240sx. And doing a lot of motivations and fabrication is not that big deal IF its worth it in the end. And that’s a big if. I have seen some swaps, but no info on how it was done. So I don’t know if someone paid a shop to do it or if I can do most of the swap my self. I can do most of it but any welding and so on I cant do anyway. Ill have to pay a shop to do it for me so id rather have the car I want and do the swap right.

http://forums.automotive.com/70/6210886/mazda/mazda-rx-8s-engine-failure-problem/index.html  

XxMerlinxX
New User
Posted: 12/21/09 12:10 AM

If Mazda's going to do the engine replacement under warranty, I doubt they'll go for anything out of the ordinary.  The only thing I would say that you might want to push for, is having them upgrade everything so that you can use the new redesigned Renesis.  With the upgrades it's gotten, it SHOULD be a fairly reliable design.  I sure as hell wouldn't run 5w20 in it though, not unless you're doing oil changes every 2k miles.  

jching
Administrator
Posted: 12/21/09 03:44 PM

If you're up for the challenge you can do what this guy did.

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/221082-sr20-powered-rx8-pics-heavy.html

He basically dropped an SR20DET out of an S13 into his 04 RX8.  

EndlessT
New User
Posted: 12/22/09 04:57 PM

the messed up thing is Mazda tells you to use 5w20, its in the manual of the car and will void the warranty if you use anything other then 5w20. now some of the plastic that is on the passenger side of the engine is melted to the car. I will scan my book and post it when I get a chance.  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 12/23/09 10:59 AM

Leave it to Ford and Mazda to come up with an oil preference just to have issues with how it affects the engine. The lighter oils work great in colder areas of the country/continent, but it never seems to do well in hotter parts of the country/continent. Synthetics are supposed to be great with any weight oil, but it still has the same effect as conventional oils when breaking down. The only difference is that synthetics take longer to brake down and be inefficient and are supposed to protect better against wear until then. How does Ford/Mazda figure to make the platform fun and reliable if it plagued by such issues? Some body at the plant needs to look into that. Good luck, I guess...  
Educate, don't hate.

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP