Super Street Network

FORUMS

12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS Idle Problem

Ocho-Cinco
User
Posted: 02/22/09 06:33 PM

Hey guys I'm having some issues with my 2003 Eclipse, and I was wondering if anyone may have any idea whats wrong with the car.  The car had a rough idle so I took it to my garage and had them do a tune-up (Plugs, Wires, Cap, and Rotor).  It's got the 3.0 V6. The only modifications under the hood are a AEM cold air intake. When I got the car back it had a really bad idle surge, only when it gets to driving temperature, when its cold it runs fine.  When it warms up the idle drops down to about 600, and will surge between 600 and 200. Sometimes the car will stall as well.  The problem is that its not throwing any engine lights, the diagnostic machine say that the O2 sensors are reading that the car is running to rich.  It was only doing this in park, but now its starting to do it in drive and reverse to. The car actually stalled today when I was backing it into the driveway. I've checkd all the vacuum lines and everything seems to be hooked up right and there are no leaks.  I've also cleaned the mass air flow sensor, and as dirty as that was it didn't help. I am completely out of ideas, I'm thinking maybe it could be the idle air control valve, but I'm not sure. If any of you guys have any idea what this could be I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to read.  

DVSRT4
User
Posted: 02/22/09 08:53 PM

iac or maf would be the 2 things i would look at first  
--------------------
2005 Dodge SRT-4-$21,295

reliable, name brand performance parts-$7,000

watching the other guy explain to his friends why he just lost to a neon....PRICELESS

chavezmack
New User
Posted: 03/03/09 09:25 AM

hey Do you have a/c or defrost on?? This happend to my 00 GT the engine would idle cold just fine at a higher rpm then would drop down to 600ish after it warmed up but then would drop really low then go back up then down and a couple times it actually died idling. My mechanic and I found this to be the compressorLaugh made sure the A/C or defrost wasn't on and it idled like a charmLaugh So I got a new compressor. Hopefully thats all your problem is because a faulty compressor can add alot if stress to an idling engine. so when it's idling make sure neither are on and see how it idles then let me know what you find hope this helped!  

_-Ax-_
New User
Posted: 03/18/09 09:09 PM

My roommate had a 2000 Eclipse GT.  When he first got it, it was in the fall.  But come winter, he noticed every time he started it up, it'd idle extremely high.  We came to figure that the car just has a cold start feature that idles the car higher than usual in cold weather to warm the engine faster.  So that's not a big deal.  And it wasn't uncommon for it to drop to around 600 on a neutral idle either.  Now if yours is doing that in drive and stalling, then that might be an issue.  I would say to check your idler pulley or whatever your setup includes.  
----
Look at this:
http://www.vault1autoforum.proboards.com

GmanGTS
New User
Posted: 09/25/09 07:11 AM

I was about to get the AEM Cold air Short Ram Intake but I found out from AEM it is incompatable with the GTS but not a GT 3.0 Glenn,

The Short Ram system is the base model of our intake followed by the Cold Air System that will give you better HP and TQ.

The GT intake systems are not compatible with the GTS models due to the difference in intake manifold design. The GTS  has the MVIM, or Mitsubishi Variable Induction Management

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our customer service department by e-mail or at (800) 992-3000

Thank you for choosing AEM Intakes Systems!

Joji Luz

AEM Tech Support

800 992 3000 X 4524

le with the GTS which I have. Here is the email from AEM  

Tigon
New User
Posted: 08/31/10 05:24 PM

having the exact same problem. After a tune up (Plugs, wires, cap & router) on my 03 Eclipse GTS with the 3.0 V6, no modifications under the hood. Idle is really flakey and the car stalls increasingly often.

Anyone know how this was solved by Ocho-Cinco??  

PARX
New User
Posted: 09/30/10 02:46 PM

I am having the same issue...seems weird to me that everyone else is having the same problem around the same time...

Anyways, the only readings on the computer that have shown up for me are the O2 sensors which I know there are 4, and I replace 2 because they are pretty expensive from the agency about $150 a sensor...

Then we thought it might be the charging system...so I got a NEW battery and alternator and still had the same problems. We checked the fluids and everything seems to be fine.

The car will turn off when I go under 1rpm at either a stop light, stop sign, or if I am slowing down a lot to make a turn and the wheel will lock. It will happen whether or not the air conditioning is on.

I can always turn it back on, once I put the car in Park again. However, the same thing keeps happening...
It's about time I change the spark plugs, but I feel like the issue may still continue...DID ANYONE FIGURE OUT THE ANSWER?  Confused I would greatly appreciate any answers or ideas!!!!  

bbatch01
New User
Posted: 03/25/11 01:27 PM

Hey,

I drive a 01 Eclipse GT with 97.5k miles. I have recently noticed the same issue with my eclipse as you all are describing. Under normal operating temps, the car's RPM will flucuate in idle, and sometimes end up completely stalling out.

Everything I have read lead me to believe its the IAC - Idle air control valve. Its a small motor located on the throttle body just under the intake. I took it out, and cleaned it and the throttle body really well with Carb and Choke cleaner from Autozone. I let everything dry, and reinstalled. I ran the car, and it has done much better since. So that lead me to believe that its possible the IAC would be going out. So i pulled it once more to check the OHM's with a meter. The ohm readings checked out fine so I crossed the IAC off my possibilities list. (Good thing too because it runs around $280.) Next I thought its the possibility of being the MAF (mass air flow sensor) so I pulled it off and cleaned it really well also. Nothing changed. My next thought was possibly a vacuum leak somewhere in the engine. So i followed a great guide to checking for leaks using brake cleaner or carb/choke cleaner. (BE CAREFUL, extremely flammable. Do not smoke or spray onto a hot engine.) Listen for changes in idle speed when cleaner is sprayed on a leak. I couldnt find a leak.

So my car is still idling rough, and will sometimes stall unless I continually give it gas. I have a couple more things to check which includes a fuel filter (because it does kind of sound like the engine is starved for fuel), and if that turns out negative, I think I might have emissions read on my vehicle... just to see if its "running rich" which would lead me to believe my vacuum check wasn't done correctly or I just missed something. - My local garage wanted to charge me like $150 to do a smoke test to just maybe see if there was a leak. Sooo I told them I'll just drive it this was for now.

As for a vehilce running "rich" would there be a noticeable decrease in MPG? When I first got my 3.0 V6 I was running around a 24-27mpg city/HW but now im consistently running 22. Just maybe a side thought.

Only after market part is a K&N Short ram intake. I recently did a tune up, wires plugs distributer etc.

Any ideas?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 03/25/11 05:29 PM

Every one, relax... Has any one checked the small hose that comes off of the fuel regulator to the intake? If you follow it, it kinda goes under other stuff nearest the throttle body. I had two V6 mitsu engines do the same thing as what you all are experiencing and it ended up being the vacuum hose that I just mentioned. I did the same thing with the spraying and the hearing for vacuum leaks as some of you did, but to no avail. See if it's cracked, off or just plain missing. If it is, replace it. Both cars I looked at with the issue didn't throw a code and both were running a bit rich and stalling. Get back at me to see if that fixed it.
Wink  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

GTclipse03
New User
Posted: 05/10/11 05:49 PM

s12rapido3,

Thanks so much for the info man, you saved me from spending hundreds of dollars trying to fix a problem I have been having for the last year.  Good stuff!

I had already changed the IAC and was contemplating changing the MAF.  I took off the hose and noticed it had dry rot in some areas around the coupling.  I wasn't sure from first glance if it was the problem, but I bought some new hose and replaced it.  Sure enough, my 03 Eclipse GT is idling around 750 when warm for the first time in over a year without stalling out.  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 06/11/11 05:54 PM

Very cool, dude. I'm glad to have been of some help. Some times it's the little things that make the biggest problems. I may not be the brightest bulb in the pack, but some times I get a jolt of power to my filament ( my brain).
Smile  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

PATSHELBY5
New User
Posted: 09/21/11 01:18 PM

My car is doing the same exact thing. Except mine isn't quite stalling out. It just pulses at a stop and when I go to take off it really cuts in and out! I was told by mitsubishi that it could possible be the EGR VSV (Vacuum Solenoid Valve). I really don't want to spend $134 for something that could just be a vacuum line. But which line exactly is it? I'm having trouble finding exactly which one you are talking about.  

PATSHELBY5
New User
Posted: 09/21/11 01:21 PM

Hey, my car is doing very similar things. At running temp it cuts in and out. When I try to take off from a stop the car cuts in and out really bad! I talked to the guys at Mitsubishi and they told me it could possible be my EGR VSV (Vacuum Solenoid Valve). I really don't want to spend $134 on it, if it could just be a vacuum line! Which lines are you talking about exactly? I cant seem to find them!  

PATSHELBY5
New User
Posted: 09/21/11 01:22 PM

Hey, my car is doing very similar things. At running temp it cuts in and out. When I try to take off from a stop the car cuts in and out really bad! I talked to the guys at Mitsubishi and they told me it could possible be my EGR VSV (Vacuum Solenoid Valve). I really don't want to spend $134 on it, if it could just be a vacuum line! Which lines are you talking about exactly? I cant seem to find them!  

PATSHELBY5
New User
Posted: 09/21/11 01:22 PM

12 Last

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP