Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

v8 vs civic??

zeroscail
User
Posted: 04/06/06 04:31 PM

in my opinion evo's are very nice cars but from previous experiance's evo's arent as fast as there put out to be. i have neaver had a problem beating one in a race. but on the other hand if there built right there unstopable..honestly i personaly would go for the sti,but thats just my opinion..if i dont get good hook-up off the line i have no chance against an sti,if i do get hook-up i can beat one,but not by much..but dont let my opinion change your mind, go for what you like....its about impresing your self  not others...you know what i mean..
i have checked into the mopar build up but i think im going to keep away from it...dont care for the parts they offer...

have you looked into evo's on the net that are for sale i have found some realy good priced ones... my wife wants one also ....  

faster_xr
New User
Posted: 04/09/06 12:01 AM

yea well bring a v-8 to my nek of the woods and ill show you som old school woop as ive eaten more cameros and truly pathetic mustangs for lunch  

Mustangs_4_ever
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/09/06 10:42 AM

what i hate is the mustang owners that like to leave thier engin stock and just use the excuse that they have a mustang so they will win a stock v-6 anit going to do [censored] agisnt a modded civic or what ever the person is driving  

zeroscail
User
Posted: 04/10/06 04:36 AM

why the hell did you reply that to me .....
i dont have a v8 car ***  

carscience-#002
New User
Posted: 04/10/06 06:15 PM

I like four cylindered vehicles and eight cylindered vehicles just as much as any other vehicle. I don't think you should poke the v8 croud because one day, the big guys are going to poke back. And when they do, you will be lucky if you get off racing a Corvette Z06.
I drive a supra, currently saving up to get my self a turbo model supra. I have never challenged anyone to a race, but their is just to many immature kids who should'nt be driving, who are driving. I always got challenged by Civics, I like the civic, it is an excellent vehicle, but there are better out their. I hear them bitching about how they beat a corvette and this and that. I get fed up of hearing them babble on and race them, turns out their full of it. A Corvette would kill my Supra. Just a story.  

zeroscail
User
Posted: 04/10/06 06:52 PM

how much hp is your supra pushin
i heavent got the chance to race a vette yet...id like to see how my srt holds up...  

mutant_corn135
New User
Posted: 04/10/06 10:24 PM

Alright guys, let's put it this way. A mustang, or even gt, is not all that overly impressive. But the car still has at least twice the engine that's in a little 4-banger.  As with almost any V-8, a Mustang or Camaro owner can spend almost the same amount of money geting his car to 600hp that the guy with the I-4 would spend getting his to 300. And they can do that for slightly more, without a turbo, so they beat the 4 out of the grid 'cause the turbo is lagging.

I know the arguement that comes next, and yes, the  V-8 car weighs more, but you can't deny that it would need to be a LOT heavier to offset the advantage of power. And let's not forget the torque advantage.

Basically, the four banger had better be pushing at least an 8,000 rpm redline, 400+ hp, and handling very precisely, or else have some serious engine and drivetrain mods. Any other way it's toast against any race-ready V-8. (To the comments that invariably come after this, I'm not talking about the guy in the rusted out IROC or the stock GT. I'm talking about the guy that's put as much work into his car as you have to yours.)

I know, there are quite a few exceptions. But that Civic wouldn't have a prayer.

BTW guys, I have an I-4. So don't go ragging on me about this ok? I'm just stating the facts.  

Mustangs_4_ever
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/11/06 04:20 AM

corn this isnt towards u
but to all the ppl who beat a STOCK camrao or mustang gt its stock ford and gm love to use goveners on there cars and its also for insurerence purposes whats cheap tp insure a car makein 400hp or one make 250hp?
which sucks less gas?
so you beat it while its stock i dont care it was stock(zo6 vette is the only exception to this)  

zeroscail
User
Posted: 04/11/06 04:43 AM

i dissagree with all that...ive spent around 300$ on my car and im prety damn close to 300hp..and my turbo has allmost no lag at all off the line...and what does 8k rpm's have to do with anything i redline at 6500...how bout this, i raced a 93 mustang cobra the other night, he had his bodom end rebuilt,along with the heads to handle a hundy shot of nitrous...he has to be pushin well over 400hp......and i can beat him  

mutant_corn135
New User
Posted: 04/11/06 04:40 PM

Quote:

i dissagree with all that...ive spent around 300$ on my car and im prety damn close to 300hp..and my turbo has allmost no lag at all off the line...and what does 8k rpm's have to do with anything i redline at 6500...how bout this, i raced a 93 mustang cobra the other night, he had his bodom end rebuilt,along with the heads to handle a hundy shot of nitrous...he has to be pushin well over 400hp......and i can beat him

What model car do you have?

I didn't mean the entry level stuff. A good racing turbo makes a lot of power, but takes a lot longer to get going. Your turbo, if you've only spent $300 on the car, does not fall into this category.

If your car redlines higher, then you can make much better use of your powerband, and with proper tuning pull a lot more power out of your engine.

I never said that any part that is bought would do that. I said that they could get twice the power with the same money. The *bottom end and heads won't do much unless he's got the power in the rest of the engine to make use of it. And if he's using nitrous to get 400hp, then he probably doesn't have that. (it only made 245 stock...)

Furthermore, I was talking about a REAL V-8. That 5.0, while rather large, doesn't put out a lot of power. All it does is slow itself down with weight by not making use of the extra pistons. However, with so much displacement, that same 5.0 can be modded to make way more power than either of us could ever get from our cars.

The difference in a race is made up by the handling of a our cars. With the *proper* mods, they will be much more nimble through the course of the track than the front-heavy v-8. And I don't mean a set of lightweight rims and some AR bars. Of course, there are some rather nimble V-8 cars out there too, but front drive seems to have the advantage. That hits a limit though, and, alas, we are left behind again... Frown  

zeroscail
User
Posted: 04/11/06 05:29 PM

i have an 05 srt-4 with a t04 turbo ,the only upgrade i have done sofar is an intake with heat sheilds...

and a 5.0 is a very small v8 in this case 302ci
while he may be able to poroduce more power than my car there is the factor of power to wight ratio..
like i said im sure he's pushin well over 400hp,thats over a hundread more pony's than me,yet im still faster...  

mutant_corn135
New User
Posted: 04/11/06 09:56 PM

Alright, that's a common misconception about a V-8 car. Look at the numbers. A V-8 car will usually add roughly 1/5 of the weight that an I-4 car has. So, lets say the I-4 weighs 2500lbs, the V-8 will weigh about 3000. Now look at the power. No turbos allowed, so there's no unfair advantage. A V-8 will usually have at LEAST 2 times more power than a four banger, more likely 3 times by looking at common numbers, and tons more torque no matter what. So a weight ratio of 5:6, and a power ratio of 1:2 or 1:3. Still think the I-4 has it better?

Moving on, lets consider the comparison that has just been made. The SRT-4 is a newer car, made with lighter materials and better technology, and has one of the best I-4 engines on the market. Then there's the Mustang. The engine is weak for its size to begin with, and the car is rather overweight for something its size due to the lack of plastic in various places. There's no getting around it: that is not a good example of a good V-8 car.

Regardless, let's look at it this way; Put the cars on equal terms and give him a turbo with the same boost pressure as yours and an intercooler. No other modifications except what your car has. Would you still win? I don't think so.

Let's take it a step further. Give him the turbo, but no intercooler. That would cost more, and we want the same amount of money spent. So now you have an upgraded T2, and he has an aftermarket bolt-on. The odds, I think, are still in his favor, especially if you are just racing in a straight line.

Alternately, you could reverse all of this and take away your turbo and his mods, in which case you're screwed. OR, you can take your turbo and give your car the same mods as him, in which case you're really screwed because there's not enough of a power gain. Remember, his engine is more than twice the size of yours.

Any way you look at it, you get beat by a car that is roughly 10 years older an 500lbs heavier. The only way the SRT keeps up it with the advantage of a turbo.

Thinking in advance, The next comment from whoever will probably have to do with the high end I-4 N/A engines like the one in the S2000. That might beat the above mentioned mustang, but against something like the new HEMI engine, or maybe the newer LS1,(both still in the SRT's range as far as V-8's go), it's toast. And if you put it with the high end V-8s, on the same end of the scale as itself, It is blown completely away.  

civicking
User
Posted: 04/11/06 11:55 PM

this is to everyone, everyone seems to forget something, seeing as gas right now at almost $3 a gallon, i would love to give my v8 truck away. see this is when the 4 cylinder shines, if you have a turbo 4 cylinder that makes lets say 350hp its got lots of power and all that, but when your not in boost its still a 4 cylinder capable of easily getting over 30mpg, while the v8 can not get any smaller so it still uses the same amount of fuel. now lets take it further a lot of new v8s has cylinder canceling technology, that's great an all but at best they can only average 28-30mpg (new 2007 v8 impala). when gas is going sky high is when you want to have a 4 cylinder that is tuned, because when your on the highway or just cruising, its still a really small 4 cylinder that gets great gas mileage and still has the power you want, its like the old saying, you can have your cake and eat it too.  

zeroscail
User
Posted: 04/12/06 04:43 AM

well how bout this....a roush or a cobra....they come supercharged right....
i have beat em both....
and yes i know not all of em are supercharged  

Mustangs_4_ever
Enthusiast
Posted: 04/12/06 01:22 PM

ok lets get somthin straight its not the hp that moves the car its the torgue all hp does is give u top end speed

and one other thing a cobra or a roush mustang make less then 400hp stock with that supercharger
the 94-04 mustangs f u c k i n g suck there is no dought that they do so acorss you will beat one stock all people do to them is put the big mustang decal on the windshelid and some new lights and crome windshelid whipers on them and think they can race just like the guy with the civic and his sound system  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP