Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Engine Tuning - Standalone ECU Vs Piggy Back ECU - Engine Management

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 12/16/09 04:23 PM

Sorry, bro. I'm up North, way North, like in Ct. I wish I could help you there.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

metepete
New User
Posted: 01/26/10 12:40 PM

i need a tuner and a standalne bad. I think im gonna go with a hondata setup. I have a d16 non vtec crx w/ petejackson super charger/ Aem adjustable everything/ dc 4-2-1 into a catback/ vaccum FMU looks like a wasgate for a turbo/ act six puck kevlar clutch 8lb flywheel/ the super is set to 7lbs right now. I got it half done and ive never supercharged anything. Im really in the dark about the whole supercharger tuning ordeal. Any suggestion as to where i should go with it. oh and just to mention i plan on adding an intercooler and a nos fogger before the FMS.  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 01/28/10 02:02 PM

Bro, with all the engine goodies that are installed, I would bring it to a speed shop to see if every thing installed will work at optimum with your hardware. That means ECU tuning and adjustments, where needed. Try to find a speed shop with a dyno so that they can see how things work together. That's my advice. Every thing you've installed is awsome, but with out a computer and a dyno, you won't know for sure if what you have is working together correctly. Good luck.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

bshbloke24.
New User
Posted: 03/19/10 06:38 PM

hay i gts a question my mitsubishi galant 4g93 is quite hungry on the petty and im looking at up grading the ecu whats the best option to go 4? gsr ecu or evo ecu?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 03/28/10 10:15 AM

Depending on hardware, a second management system, (piggy back system), could be a better solution. I would see a tuning shop to see if some thing like that is feasable with your unit. If you already have up grades it just may work better than using a stock ECU.  
Educate, don't hate.

Bizzy08
New User
Posted: 08/17/10 02:26 PM

Sandcar- not 100% but I think the 99 TL was a 2.5L. Even if it's not, yes it is bad because  1. The ECU is still stock for a N/A car. 2. Your ecu is controlling a 3.5L engine as if it was a 3.2L (possibly a 2.5L if I am correct). Are your injectors stock? What size injectors? Is the Fuel Pressure Regulator stock?
I'm also trying to figure out what I can do because I have a J32A2 TL type-S motor that I am swapping 3.5L crank with forged rods and pistons and twin turbo the motor. Oh and by the way, the TL's ECU's have a MCU in them which overides tuning done to it. So I'm not sure how a piggyback will work with that MCU. So I am trying to find a standalone. Can someone please help??  

OleTYK
New User
Posted: 10/15/10 01:58 AM

This thread is great, but why is everything about chiptuning on benzin-cars and not chiptuning diesel cars?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 10/15/10 05:00 PM

How many diesels can be drifted? Some can and have been drag raced, but I don't see the novelty in it. Plus, diesels smell up the surrounding air with fumes that burn the lungs worse than regular gas run vehicles. I may just be saying what I say due to my distaste for diesels, but in the end it's not much of a fantasy for many to build a diesel or tune one. They're good for what they were designed to... to be work horses. I guess if you feel the need to chip one as a novelty, who am I to say no. To each his own.  
Educate, don't hate.

sergani
New User
Posted: 10/16/10 01:43 PM

Gr8 right-up, thanks man!

Ok, so I'll skip to the point, since I need some help.. basically I've got an NA Hyundai Accent, with a couple of things done to it, like exhaust, intake etc..
I recently installed a Haltech Interceptor (piggyback for those who don't know), and I bought as well a Haltech wideband sensor and gauge, just to tune with..
I log the readings as well to the system, but basically what I'm asking help for is this:
1- How much ignition timing do I need to change (positive or negative?)?
2- What AFR readings should I look forward to for a good simple tune?

Any help and/or suggestions will be mighty appreciated guys!!  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 10/19/10 04:42 PM

A little negative timinig will help in the upper RPM range when driving, but doing those types of adjustments with out having the readouts from a lap top to assist you can be a bit dicey, bro. The pistons aren't interference free also and if you mess with the cam with out knowing how far to move it, you'll have valve/ piston impact issues. Seen it done. Dumb move by my boy... Any way, unless you have a dyne to test the tweeks and make adjustments you'll spend more time under the hood than driving. That's just my take on it, though.  
Educate, don't hate.

Penny Ngulandoro
New User
Posted: 11/15/13 04:53 PM

Nowdays,..some of my friends tried to use piggy back for booster their engine performance. What U can suggest practically that "is it better in using piggy back or not?"...meanwhile ECU recently (in some modern cars)already good enough to perform the optimal acceleration.

Thank for your advice  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP