FORUMS

123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Engine Tuning - Standalone ECU Vs Piggy Back ECU - Engine Management

SoulAssassin
New User
Posted: 09/26/08 08:44 AM

Thanks Man, I had plan on goin' 4 the piggy back cause i jus found out the group i want to race in don't allow stand alone i had plan on racing it in the rookie category but u can't have stand alone and u can't run more than a inch and 3/4 exaust system u have to run 15'' rims with 195/50... i got toyo proxy 280threadwear on at the moment it works fine... but if u got any other brand u think can or will work better jus holla at ur boy alrite... by the way where and when u talk about these cars i'd love to read it maybe i can learn a thing or two... and what is the island or P.R. ?  
Schumikkonen

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 09/26/08 03:26 PM

Puerto Rico, my fellow carribean. If you're not from there, sorry. It sounded as if you were. In either case, I know how you feel about the rules that you're faced with. I'm glad I could help. Go kick some A$$, or at least have fun! LOL! Good luck.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

SoulAssassin
New User
Posted: 09/27/08 09:00 PM

Thanks Bro... I kno I'll Have Fun Not So Sure 'Bout The Kickin' A$$ Part Tho... LOL! Anywayz I'm From Guyana (I Kno U Probably Never Heard Of That... lol) Check Yhis Site Out  www.gmrscgy.com u'll see some of the cars we have stuff  
Schumikkonen

TheHormone
Guru
Posted: 09/28/08 12:06 AM

eh you guys got tuned out suzuki swifts ???? LOL  hehehe ive discovered rally racing and saw a swift tuned out (finally) but yo SoulAssassin is there any swifts tuned out were you are ?? tuned for drag racing??  

SoulAssassin
New User
Posted: 09/29/08 11:04 AM

sadly not for drags but i see quite a few of them makin' a come back on the track my biggest rival drives a swift, i was tryin' to get my hands on one but i lucked out... the power to weight ratio is xcellent for the swift (name and nature lol...)  
Schumikkonen

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 09/29/08 04:15 PM

That's cool. I know where Guyana is, buddy. I'm glad to see you gettin into the race scene. Keep safe and stay on a race course, if possible. It's dangerous racing on the streets. The Suzuki Swift is fun to see race. I'm still impressed with what they do to them in Puerto Rico. LOL! It's still hard to fathom.
I've been dying to go to Puerto Rico to see the races there. Last time I went I didn't have an opportunity to stay long and missed out on some wierd events. I heard that some body had a quad that was kicking some a$$ out there, recently. I won't believe it till I see it. You know? LOL! Again, keep safe.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

oldvet53
New User
Posted: 08/29/09 02:24 PM

i'm oldvet53,i have a 2009 scion xb, ihave added a K&N cold air intake,weaponR 4-2-1 headerw/2 1/2in. collector&s-pipe,16x6in.magnaflow mufflerw/2 1/4in. inlet&outlet,borla dual rearsection, my pipes are sooty,this is the first car i've owned/w/computer,how do i get the pipes to run chalky?  

subieboy2004
New User
Posted: 09/01/09 04:52 PM

so sorry to sound retarded but i have an 04 subaru wrx it has a 16g in it and lags a *** ton so what would you suggest for parts including the piggy back or stand alone?  

Psshht
User
Posted: 09/02/09 07:32 AM

hhmm, buy better flowing Downpipe, catalytic converter, cat-back...and if you want to the exhaust manifold...

um, or you can,hhmm, give it a better air intake(you know piping and air filter).

that should quicken it.

just out of curiosity, do you let your car warm up before you thrash on it?
and do you wait for the car to cool down a little before turning it off? or does your car come with a turbo timer?  
___

*wirling noise* PSSHH.

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 09/02/09 11:20 AM

I would look into playing with different heat range plugs. It sounds by the way you explain it that the fuel isn't getting burned completely, which causes that issue. Some times if it's really bad it smokes a bit and runs rough. Try a hotter plug and see where that takes you and see about running with a higher octane fuel. If I'm right, the Scions run on 91+ octane fuel as most Toyota do. If your running a lower octane it may cause that issue as well. You have to read up on your cars specific needs and work with in that prameter. Adding power getters means seeing if those parameters have been compromised and tuning as needed. I hope I helped in some way.  
Educate, don't hate.

LimitedSlip
New User
Posted: 09/09/09 03:30 PM

Okay, so I guess here's my question. It probably sounds dumb but I'm coming from an all n/a background and I'm about to get into turbo. I had an eclipse GS before built to 400hp and I'm shooting for around 600 to 700 on a gst.
What I've really been confused with is do I upgrade the ECU or do I need a electronic boost controller. Which one?? Or is there a reason I'd need both?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 09/12/09 08:20 AM

I would do both, as they would compliment each other, assuming how well the person tuning it will do. If you plan on going that rout, though, with out doing much more to your hardware, i.e., your engine and head, you may not see much gains. You will, but not what you might expect and if you do see significant gains your engine may not last very long with out upgraded internals. It's give and take and you only get out what you put in. You know? It's like your body. If you eat garbage food you won't perform as well. Research it before you dive into doing any electronic boosts or upgrades. More of any thing will mean engine internal upgrades.  
Educate, don't hate.

LimitedSlip
New User
Posted: 09/18/09 01:03 PM

Oh ya, I already understand that the internals need to be built. I already have Brian Crower Stroker kit, cams, valves, springs and AEM cam gears on the way. With no plan to cut it there. I've just never dealt with computers too indepth.
My old Eclipse ran DSM link piggy back, but I'm wondering if shooting for 700hp should go stand alone?  

s12rapido3
Addict
Posted: 09/19/09 12:25 PM

You're ahead of the game and when it comes to the electronic part of your build, you'll need a tuner (a technician or tuning shop) and a dyno so that all your stuff can be dialed in. Too many people put things into their cars and expect it to run correctly out of the box. I know you aren't like that, but many are. With upgrades there is always the extra step of tuning. Let me know how things work out after you get it tuned.  
Educate, don't hate.

justynsi
New User
Posted: 12/15/09 06:29 PM

Do any of you guys know Ed Senf? He's working with a BMW racing team, can't remember who, and at Balanced Performance in Georgia. I'm trying to find the best tuner in my area (GA). If you know of any good tuners close to me, I'd like to hear of them along with any contact info if possible.  

123 Last

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP