Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

What should I do?

Hyde666
New User
Posted: 11/01/12 04:48 AM

I work at Wal-mart as a Cartpusher (Haha)  But I'm looking to get into the tuner scene but I don't know much about engines, or any of that.  Thing is though, next year I'm taking a trade school about mechanics through my school, so down to the question, should I buy the body of a nice tuner and fix it up while I wait to learn?  Or should I just try and find a drivable tuner?  My price range is very limited as of now.  
Thank you for taking the time of reading this.  Have a nice day.  Smile  

godfather3G
Guru
Posted: 11/01/12 08:18 AM

find something cheap and easy to work on. a mid 90s honda civic is a great starter car. but just remember one thing about the outside of the car, keep it simple. dont waste your money on body kits or park bench wings.  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

Hyde666
New User
Posted: 11/02/12 04:39 AM

I found a 93' Civic coupe shell with complete interior, the guy said he would throw in a transmission for a b16 for another 100 dollars. He wants 550 for the shell. Good or not?  

godfather3G
Guru
Posted: 11/02/12 09:40 AM

no. for just a shell, i would only give him $350 max. your gonna spend quite a bit of money on the engine and the install. find something that you can drive when you purchase it.  
-------
the godfather has spoken

KingDSM
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 04:12 PM

Icon QuoteHyde666:
I work at Wal-mart as a Cartpusher (Haha)  But I'm looking to get into the tuner scene but I don't know much about engines, or any of that.  Thing is though, next year I'm taking a trade school about mechanics through my school, so down to the question, should I buy the body of a nice tuner and fix it up while I wait to learn?  Or should I just try and find a drivable tuner?  My price range is very limited as of now.  
Thank you for taking the time of reading this.  Have a nice day.  Smile

I have built imports, muscle, and minitrucks and the one thing I can tell you is it is so easy to lose interest and abandon a quality project if you can't drive it out of the gate. I am not saying that quality builds have never come from paperweights before, but money is going to be an issue. I worked at a Harbor Freight here locally and never had much money to put toward the cars and trucks. I am actually a drug and alcohol counselor now and make decent money so I have been able to fund my build a lot better. I am not knocking your job, we all have to do what we have to do, but without a consistent flow of funds, you can get burnt out. Get one that drives so you can see and feel your progress. It keeps you motivated and saves yet another tuner from the junk yard.  

KingDSM
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 04:16 PM

Icon Quotegodfather3G:
find something cheap and easy to work on. a mid 90s honda civic is a great starter car. but just remember one thing about the outside of the car, keep it simple. dont waste your money on body kits or park bench wings.

I disagree about the body kit. I am not a "park bench" wing kind of guy, but I like style as well as speed. That and the reduced weight from OEM parts to urethane and carbon fiber. With my DSM, I want people to think that it is just some ricer being driven by Paul Walker until we get to the line. But that is my 2 cents anyway.  

godfather3G
Guru
Posted: 12/18/12 02:33 PM

only 5% of body kits are actually lighter then stock bumpers. yes, fiberglass fenders are lighter, but you dont use that much cf on a street driven car.  
-------
the godfather has spoken

Wolfraver
User
Posted: 12/23/12 11:07 PM

plus your cf wing and/or other cf parts might get stolen, if you park in the wrong neighborhood.  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP