Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

95 eclipse question

Jason95eclipse
New User
Posted: 07/18/12 08:50 AM

hey i have an idea for an upgrade on my eclipse but not sure its possible right now its a 420a but i want to do a motor swap to a 4g63 what do i have to change in order to make this happen also i have done motor swaps to hondas but this is a new can of worms Grin  

jching
Administrator
Posted: 07/18/12 10:58 AM

This is nothing like doing a motor swap in a honda.  If you look around online everybody will tell you it is way easier and cheaper to sell what you have and buy a Eclipse GST or a GSX that already comes with a 4g63.  

godfather3G
Guru
Posted: 07/18/12 12:39 PM

the easiest swap for that car is the 4g64 from the 3g and 4g eclipse.  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

KingDSM
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 05:12 AM

jching and godfather both have good points, but so many forums are full of people who tell you to just go buy the car with the motor you want. That just avoids the question you have in my opinion. While there is merit in that mindset, you can swap out your 420a for the evo8 4g63 with minimal to moderate effort. Since you are starting with the gs platform, it is a feasible swap albeit a somewhat costly one. I have a 98 gsx. It has the 7 bolt 4g63 but I am fearful of crank walk (just like you will be after your swap to a 4g63). Crank walk is the only downfall to such a great motor. My advice would be to find a 6 bolt 4g 63 from a 1g eclipse gst or gsx and build it before the swap then just drop it in. I am not a fan of the mivec that comes from the 4g eclipses, but to each their own.  

godfather3G
Guru
Posted: 12/18/12 01:29 PM

its not a minimal to moderate effort. to swap in an evo motor, you are looking at changing everything. yes, they make adapters for the swap. you will need a full evo wiring harness, you will need the evo transmission, because the 420 trans will not bolt up. you will need an evo ecu. you will need custom made axels for the front and custom made shift linkage. in just parts you are looking at over $4000, that doesnt include labor.  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

KingDSM
New User
Posted: 12/18/12 03:54 PM

Icon Quotegodfather3G:
its not a minimal to moderate effort. to swap in an evo motor, you are looking at changing everything. yes, they make adapters for the swap. you will need a full evo wiring harness, you will need the evo transmission, because the 420 trans will not bolt up. you will need an evo ecu. you will need custom made axels for the front and custom made shift linkage. in just parts you are looking at over $4000, that doesnt include labor.

I realize everything you would need. I researched this for months before I focused on my gsx. I do admit that I minimized the entire process, but the way I build a car is have the motor I want, including the trans, clutch, electronics, etc. built separately from the car itself so by the time it is built, it is a matter of simply dropping the entire unit in. That was my fault. I also should have explained that while I am not rich and live paycheck to paycheck, I just know the end result that I want so funds are not a concern. I do not mean that I am throwing thousands at my car on a daily basis, but that I find the parts I want, buy them piece by piece regardless of cost because I want the best. I know it will be more expensive than it has been so far, but it is what it is.  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP