Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Importing cars from japan...is it safe and reliable?

SuprasRsiK
User
Posted: 10/25/10 08:55 AM

i heard it was pretty safe and reliable but im not 100% sure..it cost hella money tho..  

Papadirty
User
Posted: 02/17/11 06:30 PM

You can't bring a car that isn't 25 years old into that states, that isn't USDM. Peroid. Don't let anyone tell you different because its not true. It has nothing to do with parts or anything, google it, 15 years old for canada and 25 years old in the states  

Papadirty
User
Posted: 02/17/11 06:31 PM

In canada the best site is terra2, hands down. No idea in the states  

sundowner
New User
Posted: 10/14/11 11:00 AM

There are loopholes to importing jdm cars but you have to do a lot of research and still you have the risk of getting your jdm car seized eventually. In order for a jdm car to be legal in the U.S. it has to be 25 years or older to the month it was built, then it's D.O.T and E.P.A. exempt and the paper work is minimal but it's still a headache. The only legal jdm car that i was after talking to a rep of the NHTSB is the 96-98 nissan skyline GTR-33 and only after it has had safety modifications added to it. But most jdm cars that show a price tag in japan does NOT include shipping and handling, plus once it arrives it has to sit in customs and you have to fill out paper work, pay taxes and fees, registration, legalization and all that fun stuff. I know because i've done it several times and sold a few jdm cars to American buyers. Being Canadian it's a lot easier for us to get them, our regulations are they have to be 15 years or older and it's much simpler for paper work. But people keep thinking there isn't anything worth importing that is 25 years or older which is total BS...

Peace  

sundowner
New User
Posted: 10/14/11 11:47 AM

The only JDM cars that are legal, have to be 25 years or older except the 96-98 nissan skyline GTR-33 after safety modifications have been added, bottom line. Any imported jdm car that isn't? has been illegally registered and the owner will risk getting arrested, pay a huge fine, have his car seized and crushed, it's just not worth it. There are some pretty sweet jdm cars that are 25 years or older, like the kgc-110 nissan skylines GTR, the nissan fairlady Z s-30, Toyota celica GT, Toyota sprinter trueno, levin trueno AE-86, Toyota starlet glanza turbo, Mazda rx-7 fc3, Toyota supra, nissan skyline R30 and the R31, Mitsubishi starion, these are just examples and they would be legal to drive in the U.S. and are classics and hold their value and if anyone knows jdm cars? they are built with much better quality than the north american versions and usually they have mid-range to low mileage.  

jching
Administrator
Posted: 10/14/11 02:39 PM

the problem with importing an older "jdm classic" is that parts for them are extremely difficult if not impossible to find stateside.  

sundowner
New User
Posted: 10/14/11 03:52 PM

True enough, but there are reputable jdm speed shops that have a large resource and network to help you out, even if you want to go with after market parts. I found that most classic jdm cars up for sale in japan are in extremely good condition and they do take care of their cars, that's why some of them command a big price. But most are interchangeable like the toyota sprinter trueno, levin trueno (toyota corolla gts) nissan fairlady z s-30 (nissan datsun 240-260 z) mazda rx-7 fc3 and so on.  

tegnoobie
New User
Posted: 10/30/11 01:13 AM

I have a 91 integra xsi here in the states.(imported by jdmshit) Finding parts is more of a challenge but that is a small obstacle for a real enthusiast. And as previously mentioned there are plenty of speed shops and forum members who have connections for harder to find rare parts, just have to find the right people. Where there is a will there is a way.
That being said I would not trust just any importer, pay the money and get a reputable one. Same as not skimping on insurance and toilet paper lol  

Sideways Panda
Guru
Posted: 10/31/11 10:21 AM

You can be a real enthusiast and still have a very hard time finding parts for imported, especially if you have a hard time affording the parts.  On top of that, a 91 Teg is one thing.  We're talking like early to mid-80's here.  I have an '86 MR2 that wasn't imported and I still have issues finding parts for it.  I ran into a problem where I almost had to order a $40 bolt.  This is not a will=way industry; the money has to be there too and just because it isn't all the time doesn't make anyone less of an enthusiast.  

281088tal
New User
Posted: 09/25/12 09:42 AM

I have been looking at this and searching the web.. Found a place that sells guides on everything you need to know and getting started on importing.. Tempting to purchase the goods..
Here's the link to it:
https://sites.google.com/site/jcicouk/  

Alia Jackson
New User
Posted: 05/15/14 04:11 AM

Hello
As far as I am concerning, You may contact with some really nice dealer for this,They have clear you every possible things before you go for it, japan car import is fantastic way to fulfil your car desire...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP