Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

A mitusbishi 1998 eclipse GS is it any good?

EclipseGS99
New User
Posted: 05/06/09 09:06 PM

i own one and no if u wann do that ur going to be stuck in a na world the money ull need for turbo might as well get a gsx thats why im switching to funner tuners like crx si =)btw godfather 2 gen has 140 hp  
*H!TTM@N*

nitrospiff007
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/07/09 08:21 AM

only 145 hp in a 2 door 2400lb car, thats pretty heavy, my car is a 4 door and it wieghs that much, actually 2350 i believe to be exact. granted you may have 45 more hp then my car, just a simple swap for a few hundred dollars, ill have 170 in a V6 with enough aftermarket to make it fly, it will only add a hundred pounds or so more, with the swap, then set up the suspension im good to go.  
-------
1985 BMW 318i
-All Stock-

nitrospiff007
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/07/09 08:21 AM

Laugh  
-------
1985 BMW 318i
-All Stock-

justin-vr4
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/07/09 09:14 AM

pfft, cars that weigh less than 3700lbs are overrated... LOL  
----
1994 GTO Twin Turbo
nothin wrong with front-wheel drive, I just refuse to own one

godfather3G
Guru
Posted: 05/07/09 10:48 AM

lol  
-------
the godfather has spoken
R.I.P. GRANDPA PITT AUG 10, 1930 - SEPT 30, 2010

mazda6forkicks
New User
Posted: 07/29/09 03:09 PM

intake, its the cheapest for the most horse power. i'm not saying you'll beat a sti or something but it's a start.  

DreZ
New User
Posted: 08/09/09 05:38 PM

lol .... it really depends what you want ... personally I was in your position a few years back ... and I started with an 02 corrolla that I tuned and drove the wheels off of ... now I am in the market for an rx7 ... you will got bored of fwd fairly quickly. I would look at the 240sx or maybe an older celica if I were you. With that kind of budget you can even get a turbo or nA 2nd gen rx7. But it really depends on what you are looking for, I am more of an autox/ circuit/ drift kind of guy... if you are trying to go in a straight line, rwd is just plain dangerous for a new driver.

I like the rotary community in particular, I find that they are much more courtous, helpful, and humble (prolly cause their cars break down so much). With an rx7, you will be forced to learn a lot of stuff real quick. This is the major reason why I want an rx7 for myself. Later I will probably pick up something more complicated like a 135i or an awd car like a wrx sti. But it all comes down to what you are looking for and what you want from your first car.

stay away from turbo for now. If I were in your position, I would pick up a Naturally Aspirated 2nd gen rx7 from the later 80's they don't have an insane amount of power, or so much torque that you'll spin out and crash, but they do have a LOT of potential, are pretty cheap, light, and are more realiable than turbo rx7s. Na engines last about 200,000 miles tho, but the rebuild is really easy.

An nA rx7 will run you up to 2 grand with plenty of cash left over for mods, and a rebuild if necessary.
A turbo 2nd gen will run from 4 to 7 grand for decent shape.

PLUS, they are bigger and are not fruitcake cars like the mr2 or the miata, which are nice cars, but I would not be caught dead in a miata .. the mr2 is in the grey area for me. Don't get me wrong, they are nice cars too with great handling and potential to be real fast, just have a gay rep for some reason.  

mn97GSX
New User
Posted: 08/10/09 03:50 AM

well with 6 grand you can get yourself a great build. for about 1200 you can get a full Greddy exhaust system, about 350 for you AEM V2 cold air intake system just use an extra 40 to get a K&N cone filter that fits, better HP compared to the one AEM supplies you with. 80 bucks for an MSD quad blaster pack, about 100 dollars for Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm high output silicone plug wires,NGK Iridium IX plugs at like 8 a piece, were at about 1800 rounded estimating s&h with taxes, a stronger clutch like an FX300 from clutch mastersfor about 550, and a lightwieght flywheel from your choosing highest priced i found was up to 553. bringing us up to about 3000 still have another 3K to play with, lowering springs around 244, shocks at 253 for both from and rear, sway bar set for about 336, brand new bushings at 300, cheapy short shifter at 50 bucks or you can just cut it but you'll have to re-thread pending, 255 for front rotors, about 170 for both front and rear brake pads, high temp brake fluid you'll have to find at a speed shop and ordered in, not sure on that price sorry. with all that 1700 was used, so another 1300 left. go to a shop and have order new engine parts, pistons ring should run 65, well they do for my gsx, valves at 300, performance radiator at 400, cooler flowing thermostat, water pump, oil pump, new gaskets should all fit in the 1300. i highly recommend that you get a Chilton or a Haynes repair manual and good set of tools to save money and build yourself. Lets you become one with your motor and allows you to say I BUILT that and be more proud of yourself.  

KingDSM
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 05:05 AM

Obviously I am waaaay late to this conversation, but I had to post here. The GS is a sound platform to start with. The 420A motor is basically the motor in the SRT4 so there is potential. Not my choice for a starter car, but there can be many things done to it. For example, you CAN directly swap a 4G63 Evo 8 motor into this platform. Slow? Not so much. Breaking? The DSM 4G63 in the Eclipse GSt and GSX had crankwalk issues but if you find a car that has not had this happen at this point, you are probably in the clear of this malfunction. Other than that, it is one of the best motors ever built in the tuner scene.  

KingDSM
New User
Posted: 12/17/12 05:14 AM

Icon Quoteemo_eater06:
I am new driver an also  new to the tuner scene, I am having probs picking my first ride  so far I have seen a mitsubishi 1998 eclipse gs,I would like to know if its a good starter car  an also what are some good cars to start with for newbies such as myself. I have a budget of 6,000$  an I have heard hondas are alright  but I am no honda person I think they  suck personaly .

Again, way late here but I would go with a 98-99 Eclipse GSX. You have AWD, one of the best motors ever built in the 4G63, and massive power potential. (to the tune of 800+ whp)Many Evo parts including a 7 bolt evo head will fit on the 4g63 6 bolt block. Cams, pistons, rings, etc. etc. all add to the power potential. The Garrett T28 turbo spools at around 3000 rpm so lag is nearly non existent. My platform is being built here locally and is dynoing at 650+ whp right now. I have also taken precautions for failure by plugging the oil squirters in the crank housing to prevent crank walk, new driveshafts and axles to handle the power, and a sheppard dog box transmission. I have the evo 8 head and internals and all went in with no problems. Don't get me wrong, this is an extensive build and not in the $6000 dollar range, but with time and money, your eclipse could be a scary sight for others to see at the strip. Look to spend close to $30,000 for a completed 600 hp eclipse.  

MFalkembach
New User
Posted: 04/06/13 07:40 AM

Hi,  I imported a Mitsubishi 2004 eclipse GS convetible to Paraguay,  and the client is really happy with it.  Has only 25.000miles on it, run pretty well and now it's up for tunning.  Great project car!   Milton Falkembach - Facil Importadora - Ciudad del Este - PY.  

MFalkembach
New User
Posted: 04/06/13 07:58 AM

Hi,  I imported a Mitsubishi 2004 eclipse GS convetible to Paraguay,  and the client is really happy with it.  Has only 25.000miles on it, run pretty well and now it's up for tunning.  Great project car!   Milton Falkembach - Facil Importadora - Ciudad del Este - PY.  

vipstatus
New User
Posted: 04/27/13 01:01 AM

I would drive a turbo one. I've always liked the look of the 98 style.  

vipstatus
New User
Posted: 04/29/13 06:16 PM

The 98 elicpse are like the stereotypical tuner car in my opinion, probably because of the fast and the furious. I would drive a turbo version but if I were gonna *** with a nonturbo car I would recommend a 240sx or something like a Civic Si. I prefer rear wheel drive cuz I'm a drifter like that but Hondas are fun to work on too. You might be able to find an RSX for that price if you look around.  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP