Super Street Network

FORUMS

12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

The best car to start with?

wetwillie
New User
Posted: 06/24/05 05:45 PM

I'm an old time American muscle car man. Seems like now all the energy in racing and customizing your ride is with the imports. So I'm ready to make the switch.

The car will be an everyday driver most of the time. I will do some long distance traveling also. How much can I modify the car and still be comfortable on a long trip?

I am considering going two ways. One is to buy a new or nearly new Civic, The other is to buy a good used 240sx and putting a Silva or Skyline kit.

Any and all opinions appreciated.  

cj1977
Guru
Posted: 06/24/05 06:05 PM

If you like RWD I would say go with a 240Sx donor body and a SR20DET which is turbo charged.  

TKellermann
New User
Posted: 06/24/05 09:38 PM

my first question is what is you bankroll?  there are endless options, i would just try to figure out how much money you are willing to spend and make a decision from that.  I've always been fond of '97 supra's but that's probably a more expensive car than either the sx or the civic.  

wetwillie
New User
Posted: 06/25/05 05:39 AM

Well, I could buy a new/nearly new Civic and do mods like tires/rims, intake, exhaust, and wheels. Or I could go the 240, and body kit, interior, and the same mods as the civic.  

viet0903
New User
Posted: 06/25/05 07:51 AM

Ummm... I just started to get into the racing stuff, and i was wondering if anyone can help me start off by giving me tips???  

2GNTEclipse
Guru
Posted: 06/25/05 10:48 AM

What kind of racing? Autocross, drag, time attack? Be specific. If you're even leaning towards street racing, the only advice I can give you is to quit while you're ahead and still alive. It's not worth it.  
Speed and power are a mix of mostly three factors: money, motivation, and time. How fast do you want to go and how broke do you want to be when you get there?

wetwillie
New User
Posted: 06/25/05 03:55 PM

Good advice. Seeing your friends get killed, or an innocent bystander takes all the fun out of street racing. If there is any fun left, the insurance gets it. Of course you wont have to worry till you get out of jail. If you want to drag race, it's fairly cheap to go to a drag strip. Many have import only nights or import only segments. You can also learn a heck of a lot, and meet some good folks.  

cj1977
Guru
Posted: 06/25/05 11:54 PM

Some one said something about a 240Sx as a starter car.  I do not think a 240Sx would be the best choice unless you have lots of money, but if find one with an SR20DET then go for it.  If you would be happy with a USDM 240Sx engine then go it, but they put a similar engine if not into a Nissan Hard Body truck.  If you are into body kits just think about the money you could put into building an engine.  My way if thinking is different.  I do not go for looks.  I go for essential things, maneuverability and power.  Aerodynamically sound body kits are very expensive.  A lot of companies have jumped on the band wagon for body kits that offer a “cool” look but most do not aid the performance of a vehicle.  Good luck!  

viet0903
New User
Posted: 06/26/05 12:49 PM

thanks guys for that advice but im kinda leanin towards drag or drift but if you guys think its not worth it for me you really think i should reconsider?  

RoboSurfer25
User
Posted: 06/28/05 02:43 PM

If you can afford a nearly new civic, then you can also afford a fairly decent 2nd hand 200sx S14.  if your going nissan then the S14 is your best choice set it up nicely and correctly and it should drift round corners sweetly, also it depends if you wana spend more money on looks or performance.  

RSX_S
User
Posted: 06/29/05 08:41 AM

i would def. go with the civic, even a 95 is good, i had a 95 adn it was really easy to work on and are so many after market parts. the new civic are hot as well, 240sx are nice but im not sure if there are many parts.    Grin  

vedo89
New User
Posted: 07/02/05 12:48 PM

i see you like my name any ways drift expensive, fun, and rare. drag fun, still expensive, not very rare, simpler to me but you should never ask whatv people think you should do u r u make ur own decisions then let us know good luck  

jackwenner2000
New User
Posted: 07/05/05 02:39 PM

im not entirely new to the tuner scene but i was woundering what is a cheap RWD import car to start with other than the scarlet  

RoboSurfer25
User
Posted: 07/05/05 02:50 PM

Whats your price range?  

jackwenner2000
New User
Posted: 07/06/05 09:15 AM

Well my price range for  just the car is about 5 thousand and my mods are about 5 thousand so if there is a good car within the 10000 price range then i could use the rest of the money  for mods, and i dont care what condition its in as long as it has engine/trans/axles/suspension etc.
I LIVE IN THE  US    

12 Last

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP