Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Nissan Silvia S15! Where to get one and how much?

mwalters
New User
Posted: 01/14/09 09:12 PM

I live in maryland there is a blue s15 that drives around the streets. Dont know If its legal, but Im in the process of buying a federally legal 1995 gtr33 vspec.  

AmirEK
New User
Posted: 03/04/09 09:47 AM

So im a lil confused now... Confusedis it possible to have one street legal or not?  

99Skyline_GT-R
New User
Posted: 03/15/09 12:53 AM

Ok a couple of things r-33 skylines are legal. and they can be legalized as long as they can meet epa requirements.  
Power to the car god we must bow before him!

jagnasty
New User
Posted: 04/26/11 01:56 AM

Correction, there are permanent duty stations in Japan. I live in one now (USAF). I could buy a GT-R any time if i wanted to. They are relatively cheap here too. R34 might cost about 12,000? Saw one for that price in a few adds. But you can only export certain years of skylines. It's either an R32 or R33. Pretty sure it's an R33. My friend is trying to do it. I try to tell him he's crazy. It will cost a lot of money.

There's a company that can get you either of them "legally" because they change the car to American specs and change it from being a Nissan to something else (like a kit car). BUT they will charge you 50,000 dollars for an R34, 20,000-40,000 (anywhere between) for an R32 or R33. Aside from the huge money problem, the other downside is that they will only give you the body. What a waste, as the GT-R is a beast UNDER the hood. Also, when it comes time for the skyline to be a "classic car" you still won't be able to drive it around with its crazy insides because once that company messes with it, it's date is not a 1990blah skyline, it's a (whatever day you decided to go change it over). For instance, if i did that today, my car would now be a 2011 car.

My friend has lists of all the cars that can be exported after you change them to American specs. , but it's usually very costly and all the good cars (aside from ONE model of skyline) are not on that list.

I'll tell you, it's not going to happen unless you are very very rich. Sorry, I've looked into this many times over. I really wanted one too.

To answer the most important part of your question, you wanted a silvia? Not on the list buddy. Sorry. I feel for you.

However, if you're willing to take one back as "race only", you're good to go. No driving it on the streets, you have to trailer it to the track. You can take almost any car back this way.  

jagnasty
New User
Posted: 04/26/11 02:04 AM

Thanks for that, I totally forgot. Aside from the safety specs, the car has to comply with EPA requirements. Meaning that even if you had enough cash to get that company to get you a skyline/silvia/whatever the car may be... You will never pass the EPA requirements, not even after it's a classic, due to the new date the car was "built."

Perhaps if you knew some shady characters that are willing to "pass" you on a smog check and what not, you're golden.

I guess I'll just stop typing on - Short version, I've tried looking into it endlessly, it's not gonna happen. Race only, or super bucks for an R33. Or super duper rip off bucks for any skyline BODY. No silvias.

Get a 240sx or a 300z. - yeah, America sucks when it comes to car laws.  

Jayallstar189
New User
Posted: 10/11/11 11:05 PM

Buy a 240sx wit the closed body style to urs wit a clean tittle n swap the vin numbers, to do this urll need to strip n weld the whole sorounding plate to ur silvia n get it registered as a 240, as for inspection find a place other den a state inspection site, like a garage cause they usually don't bother askin why the steering wheel is on the right side, just say u converded it that way, I've owned a s15 k in nj like this for over three years n never had any problems, I've been pulled over for speeding, tints, just because n that cops never gave me any problems about the car, as for insurance it works the same as any other amarican car, never had to change anything I didn't want to, just don't crash into anybody, one cause its a *** silvia n ull never get another one, two parts cost crazy money, compared to a 240's parts, so isurance will give u wat they think its enough to fix a 240 not a silvia, n when they come see the car for the damage estimate there wonder about the right side steering wheel n maybe boost ur insurance or cancel it, idk I got hit once but the other people wantes to pay out of there pocket n not everypne is dat lucky, note that this worked for me in nj,n I showed my friends n it also works in ny n pa, good luck wit urs, as for finding a silvia in the us, its not as hard as u may think but coslty just import one if u can find one n follow wat I did, who knows it may work for u  

jching
Administrator
Posted: 10/12/11 08:59 AM

^ that's illegal.  you do that and you're risking a huge fine and jail time.  

xp0226
New User
Posted: 11/20/11 08:04 AM

Actually there is one loophole if you get the chassis and the frame and you add stock or upgraded s-15 parts and you get it certified and then you apply the certification on to your licence then your car is legalized for you to drive it. In fact the only reason I know this for a fact is that I have that certification on my licence. There's only one problem the amount of money needed to build a single car.

For an S-15: 90,000 (stock parts), 120,000 (upgraded parts) Estimated

For Skylines: 100,000 (stock parts), 200,000 (upgraded parts) Estimated
if you have that kind of cash go for it.

Cars I have rebuilt: Nissan Silvia S-15 cost:$180,000
                    Nissan R34 skyline cost:$260,000
                    Grand total: $440,000
                    Time it took: 4 months  

xp0226
New User
Posted: 11/20/11 08:17 AM

Jayallstar189 thats not the best idea for three things. 1. Thats illegal 2. If you get caught they take your licence, house, cars,etc... away. 3. Jail for 15 years and a huge ass fine of $250,000!  

tuner.rob
New User
Posted: 11/23/11 02:22 PM

Do you think buying a wrecked S15 overseas with no engine or tranny would work? I know it would be expensive importing it but thats what I'm looking into. Since the original engine won't pass emissions, I was thinking of putting a v6 from a 350z or even the 370z. Would it work? Thanks  

jching
Administrator
Posted: 11/28/11 11:36 AM

Icon Quotetuner.rob:
Do you think buying a wrecked S15 overseas with no engine or tranny would work? I know it would be expensive importing it but thats what I'm looking into. Since the original engine won't pass emissions, I was thinking of putting a v6 from a 350z or even the 370z. Would it work? Thanks

you can't do this because the body still doesnt' comply to DOT and NHTSA safety specs.  

eric rivera
New User
Posted: 04/08/14 06:44 PM

Where are you located and are u still interested in buying a s15  

gordongjr
New User
Posted: 04/22/14 10:35 PM

I'd check with JK Technologies and see what they say. They're the only ones now registered to legally import Skylines which you can only import I do believe 1995 to 1996 R33 models per NHSTA standards.

http://www.jktechnologiesllc.com/veh_imports.htm

give em a buzz see what they say about the S15 or S14 depending on what you're looking for.  

gordongjr
New User
Posted: 04/22/14 10:35 PM

I'd check with JK Technologies and see what they say. They're the only ones now registered to legally import Skylines which you can only import I do believe 1996 to 1998 R33 models per NHSTA standards.

http://www.jktechnologiesllc.com/veh_imports.htm

give em a buzz see what they say about the S15 or S14 depending on what you're looking for.  

Andrew Wagner
New User
Posted: 05/22/14 10:23 PM

I feel sorry for u guys over in the state's I can get an s14 for $10,000 total (shipping and everything)and a s15for less than 15,000 and can drive it legally on any road in Canada.
Just another reason why the US sucks!  

123 Last

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP