Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Can You Help Me Tune My ELEMENT??

floydkahue
New User
Posted: 11/17/12 10:55 PM

So, I've got this 2007 Element SC, the 2WD version.  I love it, but I'd like it to be zippier.  I don't know much about tuning, but I'm learning a bit.  Here's what I know so far; maybe some of you can add some thoughts...

NOISE
First, I'm not a kid anymore...I don't want my Element to sound like a farty kid's car.  That being said, it would be nice to have a bit of growl...more understated & classy like a Porsche is what I would consider an ideal.

INTAKE & EXHAUST
As I understand it, adding a short ram/cold air intake or exhaust by themselves can add HP, but both is better because air flows more freely at both ends.  Folks debate over which is better, CAI or short ram.  Both exhaust and intake resonate, & if not done properly can create unpleasant harmonics, especially at freeway speeds.

ECU CHIP TUNING
Most seem to think the "performance chips" are worthless, particularly those who seem to really know what they're talking about.  Folks who defend their efficacy do so vehemently; but generally with testimony, not fact.

ECU TUNING...FACTORY REMAPPING
I've heard it said that one can remove the ECU from his/her vehicle & send it back to Honda, to be reprogrammed.  I've heard this is the only way to properly remap an ECU.  I'm not sure how to go about doing this, though it sounds like the dealer is a good place to start.  I've heard this is about $800, & laves you without a vehicle for several weeks.

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY INCLINED TO ***

INTAKE ONLY
It sounds like an intake might give me a little something, even without the exhaust.  Cat back exhaust would make my HP better, but for an additional $1000+ it hardly seems worth the 5-10 hp gain..which I may or may not see.  Then, what if I buy exhaust & it sounds horrible to my taste?  What a way to waste money that would be!

FACTORY REMAPPING
Factory remapping sounds like a "real deal" upgrade.  As I understand it, they remap the ECU so the car is optimized to run on a specific fuel type.  I know the least about this upgrade; it sounds like a winner, but I'd like to know more.

As I understand it, my Element SC can't be beefed up too much.  It runs on a very efficient & optimized engine already, & for the most part it runs at peak performance straight from the factory.

Okay guys...thoughts on any of this stuff??  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP