Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Question, high compression tuning in an n/a car w/v-tec

myfreecar
New User
Posted: 02/28/11 11:41 AM

New to this site and I,m looking for any clues or info about resolving an issue in tuning a j-series with a high scavenge exhaust and 80mm throttle body. The setup actually works well but I can see some more potential in it. Of course the car has problems related to the fact that it needs  finishing work like  powdercoat and a cleaner oil pan. The pan leaks so v-tec fails when the level is too low which has reveiled some questions about tuning on and off v-tec through the high rpm range.
Naturally when the v-tec works it delivers as expected and when not it cuts out anywhere from 4200 to 5800 depending on ambient air temp but in the rain and no v-tec the engine will slam the 7200 rev limit begging for more of course when the v-tec works there are no problems in any conditions but it does not so much slam the rev limit on dry days with v-tec on. There are signs that the cylinder pressure is high similar to a boost issue in light of the rain performance. I don't think water injection is a practical solution and my tuning software is not dynamic enough to accurately adjust timing for humidity plus air and engine temp. So I've considered an intercooler (remember it's n/a) but the whole thing is a squeeze for my car and I probably couldn't fit an effective cooler in there anyway. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated also if anyone has observed any other idiosycrosis with high induction n/a engines feel free to mention them as there may be clues there as well. I'm don't want to pour fuel on it just to cool the charge either.  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP