Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

B18c into 1990 da

boostpyro90
New User
Posted: 12/11/10 08:07 PM

Hello honda tuning! Im new here but not so much to the honda world. I recently sold my DC with itr front end and itr motor (still kickin myself) I recently went back to my roots and picked up a 90 da in mint condition with every maintenance record for the past 20 years. Im in miss of my old itr's rpm range so im looking to swap in a B18c this spring and will start piecing together everything now.

I will be purchasing just the motor (w/harness, distributor, ecu, ect) due to ease of the swap and a budget I will be keeping my ls cable tranny now. The ls and gsr tranny are similar enough that the driving experience wont make me compleeeetely miserable. Once the swap is up and going for awhile, ill be sourcing a gsr tranny.

I've been doing all kind of searching and reading however would like some more insight. (So this means I will be a noob for a bit) I realize this motor will bold right in with the stock mounts and what-not. However im not sure how to hook the motor up... what harness, ecu, obd converion to use? Im hoping someone can tell me exactly how this will all work. Im looking for a more clear, black and white, step by step guide to this swap. Just help me picture it in my head...

Thanks HT!  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/12/10 07:02 PM

You use your factory OBD0 LS engine harness, either a OBD0 vtec ECU (PW0 or PR3) or buy a OBD0-OBD1 jumper harness and run a OBD1 ECU. Your going to need to find a OBD0 distributor also, or if you want you can cut off a flange to clear the VTEC solenoid you can run the LS dizzy. The LS tranny is gonna suck balls btw, they are garbage compare to a GSR tranny lol  

boostpyro90
New User
Posted: 12/12/10 10:53 PM

Yeah, I like the gsr tranny better too but for ease of budget im going to hold off for a few months.

So ill probably get an obd conversion. And id like to use the B18c distributor so ill probably get an obd0 to obd1 distributor conversion also if possible?

Any other advice, personal issues with a swap or just some tips would be cool.  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/13/10 02:13 PM

I havent heard of any conversion harness for the dizzy, but if they make one that would be the way to go for sure. When I put a GSR into my friends DA it went in pretty smooth so I really dont see you having any issues either.  

EDIT: I just seen they make those distributor harnesses, so I would definitely get one of those.  

boostpyro90
New User
Posted: 12/13/10 05:28 PM

Yeah that's a sweet little distributor jumper harness. So when you put the gsr into your buddies DA how was it? Did the obd1conversion harness come with the vtec wires added so you just plugged into the engine and went? Just looking to see how you guys did it all...

Thanks much!  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/13/10 08:32 PM

He used a PR3 ecu, but we just hardwired vtec to the ECU. Same thing with my buddies EF's we did. He used a jumper on those and we just wired the 3 wires from the jumper (they were pig tailed on the harness already) to the vtec solenoid, pressure switch and ground. Its pretty easy if you do it that way.  

boostpyro90
New User
Posted: 12/13/10 08:38 PM

Cool, yeah I want to go obd1 with the p72 or else I would stay obd0 with the pr3. Im guessing once I get the obd1 conversion harness it will have the vtec wires cut off at the ends and ill cut the sensors off the b18c gsr harness and pigtail them together? Are the color cordinated?  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/13/10 11:29 PM

I would run a P30/P61 over the P72, cause I personally like their maps and vtec crossover, and have always seemed to make my car faster. Your conversion harness will have the 3 wires just with cut off ends, and they will be labeled to where they go. They wont be color cordinated and will most likely be 1 color, but it'll be easy to hook up since it's labeled what wire goes where.  

boostpyro90
New User
Posted: 12/14/10 07:43 PM

If I used a pr3 then that would defeat the purpose of the obd conversion since that's an obd0 ecu right? So then I would just need a vtec sub harness instead of the whole conversion?

Ugh, too much. Haha  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/15/10 07:06 PM

If you use a PR3 it would just make it so you didnt have to run the OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness, and all you would need to do is wire in vtec. I would run the conversion harness though that way you get the luxury of running OBD1 if you ever want to tune and it makes it a little easy to run the vtec wires.  

lundy96
New User
Posted: 10/08/13 04:43 PM

okay i would like to do the same swap i was going b18c but the motor im getting comes with tranny so if i pull my entire motor/tranny will the new one go in fine then get a pr3 ecu and wie vtec it will be fine?

My reason to clarify is alot of people have told me
i have to swap motor brackets
all pulleys on the motor need to be swapped with old motor
i have to get a skunk2 exhust manifold
convert to obd1
then wire vtec  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP