Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Turbo D16 kits

generalfred
New User
Posted: 09/08/10 04:12 AM

I'm in the market for a civic specifically to boost. I know most of the cars I'll find will be high mileage so a rebuild would be in the near future. I'm thinking to just boost the old motor, and run it until it dies... then rebuild. I'm a noob at turbos, so be kind.

I've been doing my research, and have found many turbo kits in the 3k price range (this makes sense). But on some of the forums, people are saying you can build one yourself for 1k (around about), and stay away from ebay kits. Having no experience in boosting a motor, or piecing one together, logic would say to get a cheap ebay kit for the parts, then find a nice/clean/quality turbo charger for reliability.

Since this will be my first turbo build, I really don't have any power goals other than low boost, stock internals... etc. I just want it to run and make a little HP so I can get a good understanding of how everything works before I invest a decent amount of money into the engine.

Does this sound like a good or bad idea? I could wait, and do it all at once, but then I wouldn't have the understanding... just a fast car. Thanks guys!  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 09/09/10 06:24 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me. The major key to having a good, fast engine is tuning. Make sure you have a good tuner and engine management system and you should be fine with most turbo kits out there (for the most part). As far as ebay turbo kits go, I really dont have problems with people running them. A couple of my buddies had ebay turbo kits on their B series motors (one B16, the other B18C5) and they ran champs. The biggest thing with ebay turbo kits are usually the manifolds cracking, but you can always upgrade if that happens. Some people have had turbo problems but I have yet to see one personally. I think an ebay turbo kit would be alright since its your first turbo build, that way if you dont like it you didnt waste a ton of money on a kit. If you do then you can always upgrade in the future and make more power and what not. The better turbo kits are always going to be better, but the ebay kits are the best bang for the buck IMO.  

generalfred
New User
Posted: 09/09/10 06:37 PM

Good point...  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP