Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

How do I reset the readiness codes for the on board diagnostics.

Kenya99
New User
Posted: 07/10/08 07:04 PM

I need some help real bad. My check engine light came on one day after my car started to run badly out of the clear blue. In a panic I took my car to an R&S Strauss shop that is right down the street from my job. When I got my car back from them the check engine light was out and the car ran and still runs great. The strange thing about all of this is they said they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. This happend in April and last week when I took my car in to be inspected at the service station for the emmisions test they said they can't get a code reading from the on-board diagnostics for the emmisions system. They asked me did I recently disconnect the battery and I told them no. I have a 2004 honda accord sedan lx with a 4cly. and the owners manual say that in order to see if the readiness codes are set, you have to turn the ignition to the on position without starting the engine. If the check engine light comes on for 20seconds and goes off the readiness codes are set. If the check engine light blinks 5 times then this means the codes are not set. I was told to drive the car on the highway and after a few days of normal driving the codes would be reset. I've done this and I still get the check engine light blinking 5 times when I go to see if the readiness codes have been set. Can anyone let me know if this would be an expensive problem to fix if I took my car to the dealer to have the codes reset in my car? Is this something I can do myself? Can someone out there help me,because with the way the economy is I really can't afford to take my car to the dealer right now. What do I do about this. Please someone respond quickly. Thank You, Kenya99  

peven
New User
Posted: 08/22/08 10:37 AM

I have a similar issue with a 2004 Honda Odyssey.

I was asked the same question "did I disconnect the battery".  I was told to go through a drive cycle of highway and local driving and to go back.  We have been back twice with the same, no codes.

did you get it resolved?  

Jimmy Pham
Administrator
Posted: 08/22/08 10:43 AM

Have you guys tried to actually disconnect the battery first, then drive it around? Doing so will rest the Ecu and all your codes may come back.  

Jimmy Pham
Administrator
Posted: 08/22/08 10:44 AM

Oh and be sure to have your radio codes handy Smile  

aditya81
New User
Posted: 12/21/08 11:13 AM

I have similar problem ,  o2 sensor had gone for my car , mechanic replaced it and he deleted all codes ,
i was trying for past 3 days but readyness codes are not yet set , could you please let me know how did u get your codes back .  

snksoda
New User
Posted: 01/24/09 01:33 PM

My 2003 Acura MDX readiness codes do not reset has similar problem. I drove more than 1000 miles for 2 weeks, but the readiness codes are NOT READY.
Can anyone help me how to get the codes set to READY  

JDM6243
New User
Posted: 01/26/09 06:15 AM

Readiness codes are set when you complete certain drive cycles (20 min @50+ MPH or 5 min below 30mph for example) and certain systems complete their self check.    A dealer should be able to tell you the conditions which you should drive to complete these tests.  
Coil-o's and Kswap coming soon

JDM6243
New User
Posted: 01/26/09 06:18 AM

When you clear codes from your computer it sets a P1000 code.  This code tells a tech that someone has recently cleared codes from this car or the battery was disconnected or died.  This is why they keep asking you that  

JDM6243
New User
Posted: 01/26/09 06:19 AM

A p1000 means all of the self check monitors are not complete  

snksoda
New User
Posted: 01/26/09 09:33 AM

Thank you for your reply. Once the readiness codes are set to READY, I'll let you know how long and how many miles I drove, I hope the OBD monitor is not malfunction.
I have asked the Acura dealer about the Drive Cycle, they said they don't know, now I don't trust Acura services anymore.  

vinny8
New User
Posted: 06/28/09 12:40 PM

I have been going crazy with the same problem. The mechanic is telling me to drive more but has no idea what the computer sensors actually require to become ready.  He initially told me that the computer needed to be reset and since then I drove 350mi.  Then he reset it again and I drove another 400mi.  Still not ready and I cannot do the emissions inspection, and I am going nuts over this issue.  I asked him if he could pretend that this is an old car and do the emissions testing without the computer but he cannot. If anyone has figured this out, please post.  

bseed63
New User
Posted: 10/01/09 12:13 AM

Here at the dealership, sometimes, I have to drive the cars home myself. 60 mile roundtrip. I keep the diagnostic tablet hooked up and I can see the ECU executing the tests. It does the cat moniter, evap, and EGR (which are the problem ones) at around 65 mph, steady throttle, for at least 1/2 mile. But the car must be started cold them warmed up before you get on the interstate. Honda calls it a drive cycle. Once the car warms up and does not complete the test, It has to be started cold all over again to start another drive cycle. Good luck!

TOLITSLITO63
New User
Posted: 11/30/09 01:21 PM

I currently own a TSX 2005. During the weekend the battry discharged, so I have the same problem regarding the reset codes.  It has only been a couple of days so i am waiting for it to reset.  My problem is the radio.  Is there a reset code for the radio??  Please help.

Thank you.  

Lito  

Lady1
New User
Posted: 07/25/10 10:18 AM

I have a 96 honda accord. I have taken it to get emissions it passed all the tests except for the readiness. I have drove my car around and still the same results 4 codes thats not reading.  Im getting really angry because nobody cant tell me anything besides drive it around and I have been doing that for almost a month now and the same thing is going on.  Can someone please tell me what can I do!!!!! I would really appreciate it!!!!!  

Sparticus
New User
Posted: 09/09/11 12:59 AM

I probably should not post to this one since my issue is with a 96 Merc Benz. This car was great until I fudged up and Killed the battery on this bad boy. Yeah and just right before I was supposed to smog this puppy. Anyhow I am up to my ears with this problem as all of you are. I was told by the Smog check only tech that my car's readiness  codes would not come up. first he told me just drive it more. I had 150 miles on it since the dead batt. Anyhow I took it back to him and he told me that i might want to bring it to a referee station. here's the deal, you can't just take it in to one of these places and ask questions etc. it is government ran and it is by appointment only. Ok don't panic!! I called and explained my situation and was able to make an appointment. Lull and behold the guy there could not help me either. Don't get me wrong, he can help you, just not my situation. I have 5 readiness codes that are not available. He suggested that I take it to the dealer and let them fix it. he says that nobody ever came back to him after going to the dealer. Sure buddy, not me. They did not reset or ready any of the codes. One thing that they did say is that I need to run the car cold start and then drive in various conditions like on the street then on the freeway, up hills/ down hills etc. what ever etc. meant? OK now I have had it!!
So needless to say I'm stuck now. I have not given up yet but now my car has 2 months of expired tags and I have to go to AAA DMV department everyday with my Nissan Truck and  retrieve a new 'One day permit' for the benz! Ok so I will just do what they said and Hope to God that it will work!! I will update you all with the progress on this lousy situation. Good Luck to you all.  

12 Last

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP