Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

rookie honda owner & tuner

LukeX
New User
Posted: 07/22/08 07:16 PM

This my 1st post i just bought an 08 SI coupe and i was wonderingif anyone would be able to give me some info, i was wondering if i was gonna tune my car performance wise what arethe best things to do and get for the car? Thanks  Smirk  

noluv4a91
New User
Posted: 07/26/08 05:36 PM

Hey Luke I'm new to the site also and learning about the imports as well.I can tell you from my experience with V-8's or basically anything is that you first let the car breath better by getting rid of the restrictive factory intake and exhaust.Your engine is really an air pump and the easier it can breath and exhale,the more power it's going to make.K&N makes great air filter lits for the Hondas as wellas many other vendors out there.The next step would be to put a better and higher flowing exhaust on it.This can be done with a header,a high flow cat-back exhaust system and a better flowing muffler.This is all done without getting "into" the internals of the engine.The next steps are bigger intake and exhaust cams porting the head and intake plenum and bigger throttle body and fuel rails and injectors.As you can tell it can get pretty complicated very fast and also very expensive.  

noluv4a91
New User
Posted: 07/26/08 05:37 PM

Hey Luke I'm new to the site also and learning about the imports as well.I can tell you from my experience with V-8's or basically anything is that you first let the car breath better by getting rid of the restrictive factory intake and exhaust.Your engine is really an air pump and the easier it can breath and exhale,the more power it's going to make.K&N makes great air filter kits for the Hondas as well as many other vendors out there.The next step would be to put a better and higher flowing exhaust on it.This can be done with a header,a high flow cat-back exhaust system and a better flowing muffler.This is all done without getting "into" the internals of the engine.The next steps are bigger intake and exhaust cams porting the head and intake plenum and bigger throttle body and fuel rails and injectors.As you can tell it can get pretty complicated very fast and also very expensive.  

laneshark01
New User
Posted: 07/28/08 11:10 AM

well to begin with is the car still completley stock or have you started any work on it yet... if you've started work on it what exactly have oyu done...  

LukeX
New User
Posted: 08/01/08 01:26 PM

everything is stock also i wondering will any of these mods void my warrenty and isnt it better to save up a get a turbo kit? also lets say i got a turbo is it lotta work to keep its working like maintnence wise?

thanks  

thatsmyhonda
New User
Posted: 10/20/08 02:41 PM

I think anything from the headers back voids the warranty...don't quote me on that though
Performance wise, and being a broke college student, I'd probably get an intake first, then an exhaust so you don't get too bogged down.. But, that's just personal preference Smile  

Jimmy Pham
Administrator
Posted: 10/20/08 05:34 PM

Most bolt on parts will not void your warranty. There was a law passed many years ago that cleared that up. On the other hand, if your mods directly caused a problem with your car, then your warranty will be voided. By simply just having bolt-ons, your dealer cannot legally void your warranty. But for simple bolt-on modes, just go with intake/header/exhaust. Until you learn more about the tuning scene, just stick with those basics.  

fantasy_blu_boi
New User
Posted: 11/07/08 01:24 AM

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TURBO YOUR CIVIC SI K20!

well not without changing out the pistons for low compression ones!...you will blow your civic engine to pieces the moment to tack on a turbo it on the stock internals!...the compression is 11:1 now that is dangerous for turbo apps, you're better off saving for a comptech supercharger or wait until k-pro for 8th gen civics come out!....thats the best and easiest way to make power without losing much reliablilty and headaches!  

jdm_delsol_93si
New User
Posted: 12/07/08 10:51 PM

well atlest you got a good motor but i would just go with a intake and header and eshuast bc you were talking about boost. well boost is a great thing if you have the money for it bc your car will be in the shop and have to be rebuilt and the ecu redone and i think your warrnty would go bye bye but not sure but i would just stick with the basice for awhile to you see if this is something you really want to get into but good luck man peace out  

DYonehara
User
Posted: 01/07/09 04:01 PM

I'm sorry fantasy blu boi but where are you getting this information from? I know of dozens of Si owners, myself included, who haven't blown their engine. Why would supercharging it be any safer? The compression ratio isn't changing and you're still introducing boost into an otherwise naturally breathing engine.

I'm not going to defend every Turbo Si owner, because on the other hand I do know of a few people who have blown a thing or two, but those are almost all related to not tuning the car, or neglecting to ensure that the cooling systems are working effectively.  

jmgjyw
New User
Posted: 01/08/09 08:46 AM

Dear Madam/Sir
 Hoping you have a nice day.
 I am ivan jiang from jaband, we would like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves to you anticipating any mutual business.
 Jaband piping Auto parts CO.,LTD is a professional  maunfacturer and exporter in NINGBO,Producing most kinds of automobile exhaust products for afermarket specializing in making high performance exhaust system,including (mainfolds, headers,mufflers, cat-back,etc) and using latest automated manufacturing facilities with accumulate know-how in this field.
 we can offer you our productions for competitive price and high quality than any other companies. therefore if you interested in our productions ,pls contact us promptly.
 *Reference website:http://www.auto-exhaust.com.cn or http://jiebang.en.alibaba.com/  .
  Besides,if you are unable to find goods in our product line,upon receipt of our drawings or samples. we could submit our samples with best prices to you.
  For further detailed information or any other questions about us ,pls contact us directly without hesitation via e-mail we will provide more detail information immediately.
 we appreciate your paying attention to us in advance,and hope to begin long-term business with you in near future.
 we are looking forward to hearing from you soon.
 warmly regards
 ivan jiang

Company: NINGBO JABAND PIPING AUTO-PARTS CO.,LTD
 TEL:+86-574-65231006
 FAX:+86-574-65231007
 E-mail: ivan@auto-exhaust.com.cn  

tommysnake
New User
Posted: 01/08/09 08:44 PM

Hey  Rookie
I just wanna tell you sweet car! what color?
I agree turboing a newer civic is great if you have the money and you wanna make lots of power. And yes you have to change it to a lower compression but both turbo and supercharger set ups are safe but definately less reliable that natural aspiration. And honda is known for their high reving and vtech engines. Not to say that there aren't some sweet forced induction systems out there. But it is all personal preference. Whether you like boost and the sound of a turbo spooling up and the rush of air out of a blow off valve. But for me when I got my honda (Civic SI '09) I got it because I am infatuated with the sound of a high reving engine not to mention when the vtch kicks in, nothing would make me go turbo or supercharger for this car. For starters I will get either a vibrant (it's cheaper) or skunk 2 cat back system, followed by an AEM or Fujita or Injen or K&N Typoon short ram intake, cold air intakes are a pain in the ass to clean but a bit more power. Then I will save up and get ready for the next phase, which will be a throttle body, intake manifold with an insulating spacer (sold separate) race headers, and a set of lowering springs nothing to fancy for the suspension, I wont be taking it on a; track I think? Then save up a whole wack of cash and start replacing all engine and drive train components ie: pistons for even higher copression rods, cams (knife edge if passible), and all the valve train, crack shaft, bearings, custom ECU, stand alone fuel managment system, fuel rails, pumps, pulleys, flywheel, maybe a stroker kit if they come out with a good one, basically replace most engine parts. I want this thing to scream and rev up stupid fast. And if I have some cash left over than maybe work on lightening the body, via A-rams, carbonfiber panels,etc. But to start out with I think a good cat back system, and intake is sufficient, for a start. Hope this helps a bit.  

rustynail1
New User
Posted: 03/09/11 12:38 PM

I'm also a rookie tuner. An '06 Civic EX is my ride. All I know right now is the engine is a 1.8L 4cyl. I hear people say K20... What's this mean and are they right?
The car is bone stock,warrantie's out and ready to get "stupid fast" with her. I don't like the term budget,but I am also building a Chevy K5 and it already takes the most $$$ cuz it's 24yrs old. Not to mention the family nickel and diming me to death. Blush  If someone knows some good reputable manufacturers out there that I can research to find the right stuff for a good price, that would be most appreciated. Oh... by the way, I have carbon fibre molding and "lay-up" experience mostly in the aerospace field. So as soon as I get my laminating tables built I could be in the business of custom building all sorts of parts for these slick little beauties...  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP