Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

Turbo or Supercharge Prelude?

routine9t
New User
Posted: 11/29/06 02:42 AM

Hi, i really need help in any info and advices for increasing power my '99 Prelude. I was so pissed by those selfish turbo cars on street. Its time to upgrade.
Which is better for Prelude? Turbo or Supercharger?
And where to find all the parts but keepin the tab low.
Any idea would be helpful. Thanks a lot.  

hondasav
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/29/06 10:08 AM

is the prelude a type-s... whats your complete plans with the car. the main goal  

luderunner
Enthusiast
Posted: 11/29/06 04:00 PM

jackson racing superchargers are awesome and they will have all you need to complete the setup  

sandiegan
New User
Posted: 12/20/06 10:37 PM

H22 is not a great engine for forced induction.  I would sell my prelude and buy another car if you want to go FI.  

hondasav
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/21/06 12:29 PM

Its not that its not great for a turbo its that they cylinder walls are fairly thinner then the ones on for say a b16. There are people that have done it. its just that you cann only push it so far.. It will cost you biut of change cause you will have tpo get some bullet proof forged sleeves and some smaller forged pistons to lower your compression of 11.1:1 then get a fairly big head gasket. you should be good for about 6 or 7 pounds of boost..
peace  

luderunner
Enthusiast
Posted: 12/25/06 03:40 PM

def get it sleeved if you gunna run turbo and low comp pistons  

AccRdtypeS
New User
Posted: 07/24/09 07:26 AM

Dude stick with a jackson racing supercharger. They are 100%legal and dont need any extra certification. they comply with all emissions standards and stuff. Again well worth the money. The power u get out of it also is pretty satisfying.http://forums.hondatuningmagazine.com/_siteconfigs/_global/images/community/bbcode/smirk.gif.The more parts u add, the more power u get.  

93preludevtec
User
Posted: 09/17/09 10:59 AM

these guys are all right. h22 is not great for turbo because of the thickness of the cylinder walls. without sleeving the cylinder walls the most boost u can get is around 10 lbs after that ur likely to blow ur motor. if you are on a tight budget then you might want to rethink going with forced induction. its not worth goin fi if your not going to do it properly. consider getting an after market exhaust, cold air intake(AEM V2 is excellent choice), maybe an oversized throttle body and intake manifold, that will give you some extra power and your ride will scream, also consider replacing your stock fuel rail with an after market one.  These are things that should be upgraded before you go with fi anyway. Good Luck drive fast drink juice lol  

h22acivic
New User
Posted: 02/12/10 07:32 PM

I have a turboed H22 in my civic on 18 psi drive it ever day.  It is the jdmh22 closed deck. i am not sure about the usdm one if the are open or close. i have forged rod and piston stock sleeves it makes about 400hp been drivein it that way about a yr tuned on crome. never had a problem out of it  
turbo h22 on 16psi

rodriguezyadir
New User
Posted: 02/13/10 06:47 PM

it's all in your hands supercharging you car is good but it takes power from you motor becuse the supercharge run's on a belt wich let's the the supercharger run on you crankshaft. now soon as you step on the gas you have all horse power....now turbo ..turbo is good becuse it run's off you exaust but with turbo you have to tune your ecu tune the motor alsol with turbo you have to make shore your turbo is not running rich or lean....so it's all up to you  

Spencerskate93
New User
Posted: 02/15/10 10:38 PM

H22's aren't a particularly good motor for forced induction because of the FRM (fiber reinforced metal) material the cylinder walls are
made of. This FRM coating makes it impossible to run a forged bottom end without sleeving your block, which can be very expensive. I would say a supercharger would be ideal for you simply because there are less parts and are typically cheaper than a turbo setup. Even though you won't have the ability to run as high of boost numbers As you potentially could with a supercharger, it won't really matter because 6-8 pounds would be about the most you would want to run on a stock bottom end. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you get your car tuned after!! You can blow a "bullet-proof" motor without a proper tune. I hope I've answered all your questions. Good luck with your build.  

honda95x
New User
Posted: 03/11/10 09:47 PM

Huh, you kids. Where do you get all the money to do this stuff? My 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z is sitting alongside my house, slowly rotting away. About ready to 'chop shop' the thing on Ebay. Digital dash, turbo's good. Roller cam, head's got a minor crack(oil leak problem only). Takers???? Got no facility or $$$ for a restoration project. Same as with my '66 GTO yrs ago. To the yard  

cncrunner
New User
Posted: 12/07/10 06:05 PM

Mahle makes a drop in forged piston for the h22. I haven't researched their capability but the claims are that they are coated with the same or capatable material as the FRM cylinder walls. Might want to check them out. Hope it helps. Good luck.  

quicklude69
New User
Posted: 05/28/11 05:48 PM

golden eagle sleeves, forged pistons and rods for high boost.  6 to 9 psi on a stock bottom end is fine but no more.  I love  turbos and superchargers.  For me it doesn't make sense to spend the money for the supercharger because its limited boost potential.  7 or maybe 14 at most out of a supercharger. It adds drag  to the motor.  Id rather put my money into a turbo kit that will deliver the 7 psi you want now and when the motor is built and ready the 20+ psi you want later.                TURBO = more Bang for your Buck.     AM I WRONG?  

K20egcw
Enthusiast
Posted: 05/28/11 08:04 PM

^ You can boost more that 10psi on a stock block if its tuned right. Your right though, turbos have more potential to make power even though some superchargers if done right can make some nice numbers as well. Plus the power is always there, unlike a turbo where it has to spool.  

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP