Ss Network

Super Street Network

FORUMS

Item Posts    Sort Order

new turbo and supercharging forum

MFEBBO
User
Posted: 12/19/06 09:51 AM

I have noticed several threads concerning forced induction questions on the site. I have created this new forum for users to ask questions about turbo charging and supercharging.

If you have questions about turbo sizing, boost levels, intercooling, blow of valves, diverter valves, fueling, whatever, this is the place to discuss it.  

thiscocks
New User
Posted: 12/27/06 03:39 PM

Hi,

I have been looking through your site with interest and I am thinking of buying a skoda octavia(previous model) 4x4 with the vag 1.8t (150bhp)engine and tuning it up. I have seen a couple of 'big turbo' conversions by a couple of companies for this engine. Firstly I presume there is no difference between the stock 150 and 180 versions of this engine; are they the same mechanically and just have different mapping?

I have seen good chips for this engine (196bhp, without engine add-ons), but if I am getting a big turbo conversion in the future is it worth getting the chip first or just wait until I get a custom code one with the turbo?

Regarding the turbo conversion, ive heard power goes up to around 280bhp Ooo  so can the standard transmission handle this power increase and should I consider a racing clutch or other parts?
Finaly have you got any links to cars that have had this mod, and general info on it and which companies do the best price/work wise?

Thanks alot for any help,

Tim H  

STATUS
User
Posted: 12/27/06 04:27 PM

Hey Tim... If your increasing the hp by 100+ hp it has been my experience taht you always change mounts for engine and transmission to rein force it b/c a lot of times cars cant be pushed to that extreme without something going wrong. So take preventitive steps to ensure a strong engine and transmission with zero problems... i would probably chip first b/c you can pull a lot of hp out just by chipping. Racing Clutch might be to stiff for daily driving... but then again its up to you man. Exedy and other companies make race clutch with a street spring so its still easy to drive... just look at all ur options and make the best choice. GOod Luck  Grin  

MFEBBO
User
Posted: 12/28/06 02:40 PM

Hi Tim,

we don't get Skodas here in the US, but we have several 1.8t cars so I will answer the questions as well as I can.
VAG has several versions of the 1.8t, everything from 150hp up to 225hp. All of the 1.8ts came with either the K03 or K03sport turbos. There were different heads used and some had cast cranks and others forged cranks.
I probably wouldn't do a chip if you plan on doing the turbo anytime soon since you just end up reflashing it anyway.
280hp is pretty easy to achieve with a turbo upgrade. APR has a stage III+ turbo kit that is producing 340hp, and that is still with stock driveability.
APR, AWE and several other places all do nice stuff over here in the states. I am sure if you look around in your area you will find some good tuning companies.
You can search our site for articles on cars with the turbo upgrade.
Jetta Turbo
1.8t cars  

dvincentholnesss2
New User
Posted: 09/26/07 03:28 PM

Hi,  
  this is Dale H. and I was woundering if any one was insane enough to think of turbo charging and supercharging a vehicle after they had done mods on the engine? Is a i4 or a i5 capable in handling so much boost after its mod have been establish? what would the torque and horse power out come be if i were to try in myself on say a 2.5 i5 jetta. What would you have to do with the rest of the vehicle to sustaine that much mods? for example the suspension, tires, rims/wheel, chasis, wiring, clutch, brake etc. be to make that a succes? how much horses could i get out of it before and after adding such a modified system. Confused  Confused  Confused  would it all be worth my dreams could i give a big block v8 or even a v12 a run for there money?  

i_am_ken
New User
Posted: 10/02/07 08:34 AM

Im planing to get a Volvo C30 next month the 2.5L supercharged 227hp T5 AWD i rily think it has a big potential in tuner cars! what do you guys think?? i thinking of replacing the stock turbo with somethgn else what turbo would you guys recommend??and what are the things we should be aware of when changing to bigge turbo's and like what stuff we should change like Valve Springs and stuff... that   might break if you have bigger turbo in it.Thnx  

Cooly25
New User
Posted: 10/12/07 12:11 AM

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am looking into the PES Supercharger for my Audi. I have got an Audi A4 2.8L Quattro 30v, and wondering how much it is.  

dnutzvrt
New User
Posted: 11/17/07 07:52 PM

i just recently installed an eip stage II turbo kit onto my 00 2.8 vr6. i am having all kinds of fueling problems. the told me to set fpr @60# and the car is very rich until the waste gate opens then goes way lean. I also keep blowing 02 sensors! i can't figure it out, if anyone out there has any info for me please don't be shy!! Confused  

turbo_20v
New User
Posted: 11/30/07 04:15 AM

Did your VR6 turbo kit from EIP come with a "Begi" fuel pressure regulator, or any other kind of secondary fuel pressure regulator- or FMU?

If so, either prepare for a long road of fiddling and issues- because that setup runs like crap, or put that junk on ebay and contact c2 motorsports or unitronic chipped for a proper big turbo ECU remap and injector upgrade.

The FMU provides extra fuel by raising the fuel pressure well and beyond the 1:1 rate which the standard regulator provides. They typically are adjusted by adjusting the idle fuel pressure and there is also usually some sort of bleed on them which lets you try to taper the amount of extra fuel added per pound of boost. This setup is just crude as hell, and the ME7 ecu's don't like it one bit. It worked ok for 175whp turbo D series civics, in 1995, but on modern hardware at real power levels, it just plain sucks.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.  

VR6TurboMAN
New User
Posted: 01/03/08 10:10 AM

Grin  Wink  
Life is Fast-
So I Drive Slow!
Unless Life Goes Slow-
Then I Drive Fast!!
David M.

VR6TurboMAN
New User
Posted: 01/03/08 10:11 AM

Icon Quoteturbo_20v:
Did your VR6 turbo kit from EIP come with a "Begi" fuel pressure regulator, or any other kind of secondary fuel pressure regulator- or FMU?

If so, either prepare for a long road of fiddling and issues- because that setup runs like crap, or put that junk on ebay and contact c2 motorsports or unitronic chipped for a proper big turbo ECU remap and injector upgrade.

The FMU provides extra fuel by raising the fuel pressure well and beyond the 1:1 rate which the standard regulator provides. They typically are adjusted by adjusting the idle fuel pressure and there is also usually some sort of bleed on them which lets you try to taper the amount of extra fuel added per pound of boost. This setup is just crude as hell, and the ME7 ecu's don't like it one bit. It worked ok for 175whp turbo D series civics, in 1995, but on modern hardware at real power levels, it just plain sucks.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

Well, back in 95' when there was no C2motorsports or unitronic, someone had to do something to turbocharge a VR6 . The secondary FPR (Fule Pressure Regulator) you speak of maybe did not work well for you.  I can not say the same for myself.  
My car runs great in 2008 with a secondary FPR.  It has the EIP kit that uses a secondary FPR. The car has had it on since 1999.  The car ran great then and runs great now.  Infact with the new kits on the market for the VR6 platform, my kit still keeps up to the task at handing people their A**es Tongue .
At 21psi and a nice undermount intercooler (wich means no big frontmount saying "Hey I am Turbocharged") it makes well over 475fwd hp.  I don't see how theese power levels suck. Oh, and I still use the stock ecu too just like the newer systems, no stand alone here.

Some people know how to tune and some don't, that is the real problem. C2motorsports and unitronic make a great product.  I have installed C2motorsports set-up on alot of cars. In various stages of power. And have had great results.
Using a external FPR is just a differnet way to do the samething... get more power.  

Maybe your secondary FPR did not work well because you forgot to instal the inline fule pump needed to feed more fule to it. Saying they just plain suck is definitely not true.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.   Wink  
Life is Fast-
So I Drive Slow!
Unless Life Goes Slow-
Then I Drive Fast!!
David M.

chunkbass
New User
Posted: 12/19/11 06:58 PM

This is my first time to this forum,good to see you.  
Discount sunglasses

BROWSE CARS BY MARKET

TO TOP