Super Street
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Good first car

ColomeDJ ColomeDJ
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 03/24/09
11:07 PM

Well i'm only 15 and a half and my dads a mechanic and i've been thinking of a good car to have. I have a 1982 380 SEL Mercedes Benz already but its doesn't run and my dads lazy as hell and it would basically cost me more than 4x as much money as its worth just to get it running decently. Anyway i was looking all around and trying to figure out a good car.  I was thinking about a Nissan 300ZX i've found some for 2k or lower. So is this a good car to get or are  there others out there that would be better but under ~3k used?  
-Why can't every street be the Autobahn?

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Addict | Posts: 2733 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 03/25/09
02:39 PM

I would suggest that you get some driving experience first before you go and get a nice car like a 300zx and kill your self. Driving and having experience behind the wheel are two different things and being 15 makes you a high risk driver. You may be responsible and all that, but I don't know you and can only give you my response according to every thing that I've seen in my 40 years of life. Buy a hoopty, drive around a bit with that and gain some experience, THEN get the dream car that you want. You can even have the car you want, but learn the skill of driving in the hoopty till you're ready. By then you'll have built the 300zx the way you want and have some miles punched on your driving belt. I like your choice of cars, though. Keep safe and practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect and all that important jazz. LOL! Look into some Honda cars as well. They are plentifull and are packed full of potential. Plus, there is more to put into one than most other cars. Good luck.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

VTEC_CIVIC VTEC_CIVIC
Enthusiast | Posts: 518 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 03/26/09
12:30 AM

LOL! I like that line "get some driving experience first before you go and get a nice car like a 300zx and kill your self" that is well said my friend. I would suggest a Honda as well, but I would also suggest any FWD 4cyl car because they are great starter cars instaed of RWD V6 or V8 my opinion.  
HONDA-High Octane Nitrous Driven Auto

eros18 eros18
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 03/09
09:46 AM

are you planning to make your first car a project car?!

either way, i would suggest Honda.

I have an EK9, it's my first car and my own project also.

You can purchase a Honda with just $500 and just go ahead and start your project.  
The quickest way from point A to point B is by going 225mph

ColomeDJ ColomeDJ
03:12 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. I do need to get some experience. It's just whenever I'm in a car with my dad and he pulls like 100+ it's awesome you know lol. But if I tried that now your probably right I would kill myself. I guess the best thing is to wait till insurence for me goes down and I get experience.  

VTEC_CIVIC VTEC_CIVIC
Posted: 03/27/09
10:50 AM

That would be a smart choice instead of just running right into the buying and modding of your car and expect to already know how to drive fast. Just give it time and start slow you'll get the hang of it.  

ColomeDJ ColomeDJ
01:20 PM

Yeah but just so I know 300ZX is one of the best cars I could get with a low budget yah?  

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
03:06 PM

Not really. That would be an undertaking, if you don't know the quirks and stuff. Nissan cars, though great, require a bit of know how to maintain and they do require some maintenance. I have a 1987 200sx, which at this moment is waiting for my loving hands to do some thing to it. Any way, my point is that when I was driving her around she required some attention. I love them old, but you get my point. LOL! Hondas have a serious following and have so much tech know how behind them that any one can learn about them quikly. Plus, they are as reliable as a Nissan once you've learned the ins and outs. Nissan are my love, but I'm not going to sugar coat their idiosyncratic problems. It takes a good, patient mind to work on one. For the money, I would do a Honda. Oh! before I forget... If you want to go fast and I mean really fast... Build a 300zx for racing and stick to a track. Streets are not for racing. LOL! Cool? VTEC has a really good head on his shoulders. Listen up, he knows his stuff.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

ColomeDJ ColomeDJ
04:28 PM

Alright cool. Thanks.  

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Posted: 03/28/09
06:59 AM

Any time. We're all here to help and keep this life style strong.  
Educate, don't hate.

VTEC_CIVIC VTEC_CIVIC
Posted: 03/29/09
01:58 AM

Thanks for the compliment s12 lol you do got it right about Honda though cause when I got my Honda I didn't know much about what I was doing because it was modded up a little bit, but then in a week I had already figured out how everything worked lol I even figured out all the wiring that was done to it. Listen to s12 though about street racing because sure racing on the streets looks cool, but all it takes is a person to wrap around a pole (which happened already) to find out that it really isn't cool. So if your going to race stick to the track like s12 said. It's better to know that you can go 100+ down a drag strip and not have to worry about red and blue lights behind you followed a big ticket and a crusher to meet your car. Hardest thing to watch on youtube.  

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Posted: 03/29/09
08:22 AM

NO DOUBT! Preach it, man. That's food for the soul.  
Educate, don't hate.

VTEC_CIVIC VTEC_CIVIC
Posted: 03/31/09
01:10 AM

LOL! It is something that all street racers should know. I had a hard time trying to watch that video Shocked ...so did the news guy who was live at the crushing...They crushed a Honda Frown I think it was the new law in California that if your caught street racing then you get your car crushed, but of course law or not anyone who chooses to crush your car can do it, and you won't have a say in it because they know it is the ultimate statement to stop the street racing.  

TheHormone TheHormone
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 03/31/09
04:06 PM

here in canada punishment for street racing is impounding the car and having your license taken away,if your car isnt street legal (running nitrous) then its taken to the crusher and you get a jail sentence i think  

VTEC_CIVIC VTEC_CIVIC
Posted: 04/01/09
02:36 AM

Ouch! I think they might have something over here like that. I'm not sure on losing your license or impounding, but crushing oh yes.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
  • Super Street Online