Super Street
Prev |  1 |  2
Item Posts    Sort Order

2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS Idle Problem

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Addict | Posts: 2733 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 09/21/11
07:00 PM

Posted three times, I see... got an itchy finger? Just kidding, bro. lol! Any way, It's on the throttle body or on the manifold nearest the throttle body. That's depending on how Mitsu designed for the particular year. If you are looking at it from the drivers side with the air filter inlet hose off it would be slightly under on the left side of it. An easier way would be to follow the hose off of the fuel rail. It's the only vacuum line that's connected to it from the manifold or the throttle body.
I hope that helps.  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Posted: 09/21/11
07:11 PM

I almost did the same thing... New block different course of explaination! Lol! Any way, the hose is easily followed from the fuel rail to the throttle body. It's thinner than most of the other hoses. It's about an 1/8" thick hose. I've seen some years with the nipple that the hose connects to on the intake manifold, but it is really close to the t-body. You can't miss it even though it's kinda hidden. Look under the bigger hoses that are also hooked up to the throttle body. It's there, trust me. If the hose isn't in bad shape or worn in any way, it just may be what Mitsubishi said it was. Look for the hose first and eliminate any doubts first, though. I hope this helps you.
Wink  
How you drive is your buisness. Remember that you're not the only one on the road!
Educate, don't hate.

jdmallday jdmallday
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 10/05/11
12:38 AM

okay evryone else is a douchee and has no idead what they are talking about. Its your air idle control valve bro. Your 02 sensors are reading that they are running rich is because injectors are letting in 2 much gas not enough air is being produced in the combustion chamber i would say if ur check engine light is not on 1.check ur idle control valve sensor(get urself an intake cleaner).  2. check for any old broken hoses (a ripped, old, stiff hose air leak drains the engine causing it to idle up &down son). 3. u mentioned heating up check ur thermostat & gasket  Shocked  Wink  Grin  Tongue always remember 1,2,3's check water coolant and oil levels and color. That is all  
JDMQUEEN

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Posted: 10/07/11
02:20 PM

DOUCHEE!? There wasn't a CEL on, brother. The engine light won't come on when the hose from the T-body to the fuel regulator is worn or damaged because the computer doesn't know to throw a code for that concern. All it will do is run a bit funny, idle a bit erratic and then stall. The only way to know, after all other tests were done mind you, is to check that hose. 9 times out of 10, the hose is worn and not letting vacuum work the regulator. The tell tale sign is the fact that the scanner will read rich when you read the data stream. Again, they've done all the tests and no thought was given to check the fuel regulator hose. I fixed one just yesterday for the same concern after two dealerships and 4 garages couldn't find the problem. All they did was suggest throwing parts at it and not looking at the most obvious. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but these people already went through all that nonsense and came up blank and just threw parts at the problem. The Eclipse, Galant and any other Mitsubishi with that particular V6 have the same style fuel regulator and usually have that concern. Any way, Since I've already made it clear, I hope you can do me a fovor and not insult people who are only trying to help. Cool? I'm not mad or upset about it. I'm just trying to be the cool headed adult when it comes to my peoples. We only try to make things better for our compatriots in tuning.
Grin  Wink  
Educate, don't hate.

EK387 EK387
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/06/12
11:00 PM

Ok, so i'm having a similar problem. my 03 GS is idling rough and stalling out at start up. i'll start it up and it'll jump clear up to 2000-2500rpms. if i let it run for ten minutes it seems to run better. if i don't let it warm up it is really jumpy and it sometimes stalls. it's not throwing any codes and seems to run ok, not great, but ok one it's warmed up. any ideas? i did a tune up last May.  

EK387 EK387
Posted: 01/06/12
11:11 PM

Note i ment RS and it only stalls out when i try to drive it before it's warmed up thats when the rpms bounce around.  

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Posted: 01/07/12
03:25 PM

Is it the 4 banger or V6 model. If it's the 4 banger, you most likely have a cam sensor concern. Again, this sensor doesn't throw a code when the wire to it is cracked or worn. If it's the V6 model, you have to get some readings from a scanner and read out to me the fuel trims and see if the cam sensors are reading normally. I can tell you a bit more if you give me all you can with the info. At this point, it sounds like a IAC valve, but I'm not sure that it is unless I have that other info. You might want to check for vacuum leaks as well. Let me know what you get.  
Educate, don't hate.

EK387 EK387
Posted: 01/09/12
08:07 AM

Yea, it's the 4 banger. i'll have to check that cam sensor out. i'll barrow my buddies OBD2 and check the cpu for any codes or any thing while i'm at it. thanks  

daltonlarson daltonlarson
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 04/03/12
11:40 AM

If the eclipse is a v6 and your check engine light is on and your problems consist of low rpms or it wont idle correctly and it stalls out the problem is most likely your MASS AIR FLOW SENCSOR. If that still doesnt fix it u probably have a bad vaccuum line or gas line. when u plug it in and read codes you will probably get more than one reading.  if you do the mass air flow sencsor is bad and sending those readings to the computer. it costs about 220. the fastest way to check to see if it is the problem is to unplug it while the car is running and as soon as u do it should idle correctly. it is located on the driver side close to the front corner on your air intake looks like a box. unplug it and should run fine but check ingine light will remain on untill fixed.  

s12rapido3 s12rapido3
Posted: 04/08/12
08:21 AM

That is one good way, but removing the IAC plug does the same thing and really doesn't pin point an exact point of concern. The codes will tell as well as checking vacuum lines. My guess still is with the cam sensors. They do throw codes and at times do cause intermitent stalls and idle concerns. They also don't throw codes at times. It's frustrating, but a savy tech can isolate the issue and/or find a TSB that shows a fix for the concern.  
Educate, don't hate.

Prev |  1 |  2
  • Super Street Online